The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

Two quick things:

I like Brandon Hyde.  I hope he's given the chance to manage this team once we've acquired/grown better talent.

I typically can't stand armchair managing.  Everyone behind a keyboard is always a genius and always knows better.  

That said...

WTF was Hyde thinking when he brought in Armstrong who hasn't had any action in a week to face Stanton with the bases loaded?

And WTF was he thinking bringing Sceroler in to make his ML debut against Judge with the bases loaded?  Even though Sceroler got out of it, the move just didn't make sense.  I suppose if you're waving the white flag and giving up on this game, sure.  But don't set your pitcher up to fail, even if the game is a bit out of hand.

1 minute ago, LocoChris said:

I think there’s no better time than now to let young pitchers get experience in tough situations. 5th inning was a prime opportunity for such for Lopez. Bad move by Hyde there. 

Lopez ain't all that young.  

I'm not arguing about whether or not he should have been pulled or not.  I don't mind going to a reliever in that situation...all relievers have to come into a sticky situation sooner or later.  

But why go to the guy that hasn't pitched in a week?  That makes no sense.

And Judge did what he did, I can't even get mad at it.  It was a terrible pitch.  

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not arguing about whether or not he should have been pulled or not.  I don't mind going to a reliever in that situation...all relievers have to come into a sticky situation sooner or later.  

And Judge did what he did, I can't even get mad at it.  It was a terrible pitch.  

I would have went to Tate probably. I guess he went to Armstrong because it was early in game. I agree rough spot for him. 

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Eh true, Lopez has been around longer than I thought. Agree Armstrong was the wrong choice there. 

o

Young Mac Sceroler coming into the game with the bases loaded and striking out Aaron Judge and then getting Aaron Hicks to foul out was our mini-version of Grover Cleveland Alexander coming out of the bullpen in the 7th game of the 1926 World Series ...... hungover, and having pitched a complete-game the day before ...... and striking out Tony Lazzeri with the bases loaded to end the 7th inning with his team desperately clinging to a one-run lead. Alexander finished off the Yankees with 2 more shutout innings to claim the first World Series title in Cardinals franchise history.

o

• Thanks 1

As far as pen goes we know this 

Scott/Valdez high leverage/late

Armstrong/Fry/Tate/Plutko middle/set up 

Wells/Sceroler/LeBlanc long/mop up

At end of day the middle group is going to have to get some big outs this year. At some point can’t hide last group all the time either.

Pure guess on my part maybe he thought Armstrong would have some mojo after the baby. Once again that was a rough spot for him. I still think Hicks swung. 

Ha! Didn’t I have one of these a year or so ago?

Im interested in what the beats ask and how easily they accept a non-answer.

I HATE it when the beats, who claim to be serious journalists, ignore a situation, or ask politely, get a total non-answer, and then move on.

Because that’s what ALWAYS happens.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

This is not ST any more.  They were down by a run.   Valdez would have looked good in that situation.

I'm not sure what your point is.

Hyde has no expectation to win so he can do what he thinks is best for the long term health of the team instead of playing for a win in game four of the season.  If he thinks it is in the team's best interest to get Armstrong work...or if he was told to get Armstrong work, he'll do it.  Should Armstrong sit for days while Hyde waits for a low leverage situation to put him in?

• Upvote 1

Hyde should have pulled Lopez sooner. He had done well and suddenly lost it. I was working but managed to see two wild walks where the ball was going all over the place, and Lopez Ain’t the Second Coming, you know. As soon as he shows signs of tiring, yank him. The bases loaded situation should never have happened in the first place, and when it did, Gosh, have YOU ever been involved in a birth? Yes the woman is doing all the work, and no mistake, but it’s physically and emotionally exhausting, stressful, and it NEVER stops.

”Hi howyadoinwelcomebackgogetusacoupleouts.”

Stupid.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sure what your point is.

Hyde has no expectation to win so he can do what he thinks is best for the long term health of the team instead of playing for a win in game four of the season.  If he thinks it is in the team's best interest to get Armstrong work...or if he was told to get Armstrong work, he'll do it.  Should Armstrong sit for days while Hyde waits for a low leverage situation to put him in?

Nope. Elias is not signing high price talent to win.  Hyde says he is trying to win every game.