Saturday June 12: Orioles try to end 13 game road losing streak

SteveA

3 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Galvis is not a real quality fielder.  

Certainly not compared to the Orioles' history of quality shortstops: Iglesias, Hardy, Bordick, Ripken, Belanger, Aparicio.

But he is OK enough that a team might trade for him. Let's hope. If they get another Kevin Smith for him, I would be thrilled.

7 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I know this is reaching far back into the early innings, but what do you mean? What happened?

Valaika was shifted somewhat so he was almost behind 2nd and Freddy was over towards 3rd.  Ball was hit to where the shortstop normally would be.  Valaika ranged to his right.  Freddy ranged to his left.  Valaika made the play, on the SS side of the base, looking like a SS going into the hole.  Meanwhile Freddy just kept going and practically slid into 2nd to get Valaika's throw to beat the runner from first for the force.  

So it's scored 4-6 but Valaika made the backhand play where the SS normally stands and threw to Freddy at 2nd after they had crossed paths.

I'd never seen that before.

6 minutes ago, scOtt said:

1927 ish. 18 year old Louis Armstrong on Cornet.

Bessie Smith, a HUGE star in the 20's, dare I say on the order of Madonna in the 80's. HUGE star. She didn't like being upstaged on this song by some 18 year old punk. NEVER played or performed with him again.

Her loss...

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Valaika was shifted somewhat so he was almost behind 2nd and Freddy was over towards 3rd.  Ball was hit to where the shortstop normally would be.  Valaika ranged to his right.  Freddy ranged to his left.  Valaika made the play, on the SS side of the base, looking like a SS going into the hole.  Meanwhile Freddy just kept going and practically slid into 2nd to get Valaika's throw to beat the runner from first for the force.  

So it's scored 4-6 but Valaikaade the backhand okay where the SS normally stands and threw to Freddy at 2nd.

I'd never seen that before.

Cool--thanks for the good description. Just found the clip--very nifty:

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/orioles-vs-rays/2021/06/12/633699#game_state=live,game_tab=videos,game=633699

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

Bessie Smith, a HUGE star in the 20's, dare I say on the order of Madonna in the 80's. HUGE star. She didn't like being upstaged on this song by some 18 year old punk. NEVER played or performed with him again.

Her loss...

I wish I could live in those days sometimes