I think Roberts will be traded...

LookinUp

Holliday is better that Roberts. Last year his VORP was 60 to Roberts' 50. In 2007 it was 75 to Roberts' 49.

Roberts is a very good player, underrated even, and thats why the offers won't be there. Teams just don't give up big packages for 2B. I'd love it if we get the offers, but I just don't expect it to happen. We'll get worse offers than last year's Cubs deal (Gallagher, Cedeno, Patterson, Veal).

Holliday is better than Roberts, no argument here. I think his "underrated" tag was removed this year though. He's a valuable commodity and I think other teams see that.

[EDIT] And, since I think he's signable, I don't think he has to be a one year rental.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, the Indians might not be interested in BRob. Just passing this on, its not reliable, just passing on 3rd party information, but a friend of mine in Fla. said he heard talks of a Marlins/Indians trade where the Indians get Uggla and the Marlins would get Garko+ Hodges and a SP (Maybe Miiler?)

Now, the Indians I guess could move Uggla to 3B and still be interested in Roberts.

Again, just 3rd party info.

It's quite possible that they're interested in both and even playing the O's and Marlins off each other a bit to try to get the best deal. Obviously they have different attributes... Uggla gives more power but less defense and certainly isn't going to give them the excuse they need to move Sizemore to the middle of the order... but both qualify as good second baseman who are at least somewhat available. It would only make sense for a team in need of a 2B to put out feelers on both.

Even though Holliday is better than Roberts in some aspects. But now that Holliday has been traded. Roberts' stock has just gone up even more. So AM is going to have a tough choice to make.

This is one of my favorite all time posts and I don't know why. :eektf:

Even though Holliday is better than Roberts in some aspects. But now that Holliday has been traded. Roberts' stock has just gone up even more. So AM is going to have a tough choice to make.
I don't think your correlation really makes sense here.

The group of teams interested in Holliday were not interested in Roberts. They fill completely different needs for teams, and I don't think there were very many overlapping teams interested in both. Roberts value hasn't changed at all.

Holliday is better than Roberts, no argument here. I think his "underrated" tag was removed this year though. He's a valuable commodity and I think other teams see that.

[EDIT] And, since I think he's signable, I don't think he has to be a one year rental.

He had a good year this year, but how did he become any less underrated? He didn't make the All-Star team (despite leading the AL in extra base hits at the break) or win any awards. Teams are trying to trade for them, but none of them seem ready to break the bank. I guess we'll see how underrated or not he is as trade offers start to leak out, but whether you're talking trade value or money earned, virtually all second baseman are other than the ones (Kinsler, Uggla, Kent, Soriano and Upton before they moved to the OF, etc.) who have no business standing at second base wearing a glove but get a lot of accolades for producing a lot offensively from a traditionally weak offensive position. Well, except Dustin Pedroia. I guess playing in Boston and having a big mouth also makes you an exception. :P

I don't think your correlation really makes sense here.

The group of teams interested in Holliday were not interested in Roberts. They fill completely different needs for teams, and I don't think there were very many overlapping teams interested in both. Roberts value hasn't changed at all.

Once word gets out that he is available his value will go up. And the Indians nugget leaves you to wonder if he will resign and if AM has made him available.

He had a good year this year, but how did he become any less underrated? He didn't make the All-Star team (despite leading the AL in extra base hits at the break) or win any awards. Teams are trying to trade for them, but none of them seem ready to break the bank. I guess we'll see how underrated or not he is as trade offers start to leak out, but whether you're talking trade value or money earned, virtually all second baseman are other than the ones (Kinsler, Uggla, Kent, Soriano and Upton before they moved to the OF, etc.) who have no business standing at second base wearing a glove but get a lot of accolades for producing a lot offensively from a traditionally weak offensive position. Well, except Dustin Pedroia. I guess playing in Boston and having a big mouth also makes you an exception. :P

More teams seem interested. I'm not saying we'll get a Bedard-like return, but it seems like teams have interest.

Once word gets out that he is available his value will go up. And the Indians nugget leaves you to wonder if he will resign and if AM has made him available.

It seems that AM certainly has made him available... but how are we to know if he would resign if MacPhail hasn't made a serious contract offer???

Archived