Manfred says a lockout is a good thing

HowAboutThat

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

My reading of what he said is that a lockout beginning December 1 is better than a work stoppage that occurs when the season begins.   I can’t argue with that.  

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32661677/commissioner-rob-manfred-says-lockout-move-mlb-labor-talks-forward

Yes, but it's also an attempt to manage the public relations hit the owners will take when they initiate the lockout, trying to put a positive spin on it.

May take from this is that it means a lockout is extremely likely at this point or he wouldn't be trying to put this spin out in advance.

45 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yes, but it's also an attempt to manage the public relations hit the owners will take when they initiate the lockout, trying to put a positive spin on it.

May take from this is that it means a lockout is extremely likely at this point or he wouldn't be trying to put this spin out in advance.

I assume it’s very likely, but don’t really care until it gets to the point of impacting next season.  

• 2 weeks later...

MLB teams spending money like water isn't really helping MLB's case.  O's are one of the only teams that have been frugal.  Even Tampa Bay signed Franco for close to $200 million.  Texas just spent $175 million on a 31 year old.  I can't wait to see what MLB rewards Baltimore with.  Baltimore can't get an All Star game or MLB support for the MASN dispute, but surely MLB is saving a big reward for Baltimore's loyalty. 

14 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

MLB teams spending money like water isn't really helping MLB's case.  O's are one of the only teams that have been frugal.  Even Tampa Bay signed Franco for close to $200 million.  Texas just spent $175 million on a 31 year old.  I can't wait to see what MLB rewards Baltimore with.  Baltimore can't get an All Star game or MLB support for the MASN dispute, but surely MLB is saving a big reward for Baltimore's loyalty. 

Why would the O’s get MLB’s support for the MASN dispute?   

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why would the O’s get MLB’s support for the MASN dispute?   

Because Peter Angelos graciously allowed for the Nationals to exist in exchange for him owning their broadcast rights.  It's the least that MLB can do to reward us for his generosity.