Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

Since news is slow this morning, I just thought I'd share a piece that may make your pulse quicken a bit... the New York Post ran a mainly speculation filled article about how the Yankees are and should be in on the Tex situation. As the piece of argument needed to support spending even more than they already have on Sabathia and Burnett, the article used...you guessed it... the lowly Orioles since after all, "The Yankees scored only seven more runs than the Orioles in 2008." First comment from a Yankee fan...we should get Tex and Sheets. Then, we'd be ok. This doesn't actually upset me, but there is an arrogance and approach to spending which borders on obscene.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/wit-sawx-stepping-aside-bombers-make-smart-play-185610.html

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since news is slow this morning, I just thought I'd share a piece that may make your pulse quicken a bit... the New York Post ran a mainly speculation filled article about how the Yankees are and should be in on the Tex situation. As the piece of argument needed to support spending even more than they already have on Sabathia and Burnett, the article used...you guessed it... the lowly Orioles since after all, "The Yankees scored only seven more runs than the Orioles in 2008." First comment from a Yankee fan...we should get Tex and Sheets. Then, we'd be ok. This doesn't actually upset me, but there is an arrogance and approach to spending which borders on obscene.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/wit-sawx-stepping-aside-bombers-make-smart-play-185610.html

The Yankees becoming "players" in the Tex sweepstakes will only give our FO MORE of a sense of urgency to sign him, and if anything, the Yanks will drive up the price for US while not really wanting to sign him, but just make everyone out there think they might so they'll (other teams) spend more...

The Yankees becoming "players" in the Tex sweepstakes will only give our FO MORE of a sense of urgency to sign him, and if anything, the Yanks will drive up the price for US while not really wanting to sign him, but just make everyone out there think they might so they'll (other teams) spend more...

Problem is, that Yankee involvement will also motivate the Red Sox to put the money up to get this done and they have shown, in the past, a willingness to over pay when they need to in order to keep a player from the Yankees...see Dice-K Blind bid two years ago.

Up until now the Sox seem content to wait Boras out but if they come to believe Steinbrenner/Cashman are players they will move quickly.

I think the Orioles are doing a good job of handling these negotiations for Teixeira. Patience is what is needed right now and we all know MacPhail has plenty of that. Boras will sit back for as long as possible to ensure he has gotton as much as he can from all of the teams. Timing will be the key factor IMO. The O's shouldn't show their hand until the last moment or it will only be used to drive up the offers of others.

The Yankees becoming "players" in the Tex sweepstakes will only give our FO MORE of a sense of urgency to sign him,
Unfortunately, Boras doesn't work with a sense of urgency and signs his guys only when all the bidding is fully done. If he has a smidgen of a sense that the Yanks are even mildly interested, this will drag even farther.

I originally thought the Yanks would pass because of their earlier spending but am now somewhat puzzled. Their offense is no longer a juggernaut and they are looking really vulnerable despite their pitching. Unless they are going after Manny?

I do wish Tex would wake up today, call Boras and say, "OK Bud. Fax someone our term sheet and let's start signing."

I have felt that it is Ramirez not Tex who will end up a Yankee, and they may very well be just trying to drive the price up on Tex. What irritates me a bit is when I think about how so many Oriole fans dream of just adding Tex to fill a hole in the middle of our lineup that has existed for years and isn't going to be filled from within our organization while Yankee fans discuss adding all three of the top 3 free agents....and Ben Sheets too.

It really is a brilliant strategy if Cashman employs it... Drive the price up as much as possible severely handicapping Baltimore if they win the sweepstakes, or making Boston vastly overpay if they win the sweepstakes. It makes no sense for Cashman not to jump in regardless of whether or not they have interest.

Here's a chess analogy to describe Tex's choices: He can either be a King here in Baltimore, or a Pawn anywhere else...

That's the best case scenario, w/o a doubt... However we do need to be cognizant that much of the time, these grand homecomings end in disappointment. Signing with Baltimore means a lot more pressure on his shouldars than anywhere else where he isn't seen as the savior.

That's the best case scenario, w/o a doubt... However we do need to be cognizant that much of the time, these grand homecomings end in disappointment. Signing with Baltimore means a lot more pressure on his shouldars than anywhere else where he isn't seen as the savior.

Understood, but I think this town will embrace him so much that he will actually thrive off of any pressure, and I hope we ALL realize that Tex is just one piece of this puzzle, but without him, it cannot be completed... imo

Understood, but I think this town will embrace him so much that he will actually thrive off of any pressure, and I hope we ALL realize that Tex is just one piece of this puzzle, but without him, it cannot be completed... imo

If we're lucky that would be a great outcome. I just hope he gets off to a good start or it could snowball from there if he's trying to do too much which happens to a lot of FAs in their first year.

Archived