For those who think we went a bit under slot on some picks, have we drafted any over slot guys?

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

Jud Fabian went back to school.  They have to be more likely to go back to school than juniors who lose all leverage.   

It's it's doubtful Fabian will get more than he was going to get from the Red Sox last year.

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Interesting question.

My instinct is that they had some sort of "make up" deal with Fabian after last year.

What do you mean by “make up” deal?  They used a draft pick and some of our pool money because they felt bad about what happened last year?

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Agreed but he did decide to bet on himself.  He just lost

True, and I have zero issues with kids who do so, but most do not win. I'd imagine since the slotting system came into place (something that needs to happen with an international draft too), very few players who were drafted in the first five rounds who did not sign and went back increased their bonus the next year.

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

True, and I have zero issues with kids who do so, but most do not win. I'd imagine since the slotting system came into place (something that needs to happen with an international draft too), very few players who were drafted in the first five rounds who did not sign and went back increased their bonus the next year.

Gerrit Cole is the best example of someone who bet and won.  Leiter as well.  But neither of them were sophomores, though they turned down big dollars

39 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Gerrit Cole is the best example of someone who bet and won.  Leiter as well.  But neither of them were sophomores, though they turned down big dollars

Most apparently is the word you missed in my true statement. ;) 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It's it's doubtful Fabian will get more than he was going to get from the Red Sox last year.

One thing these players often fail to consider is that by delaying the start of their pro career, they very likely are delaying the date at which they first reach the majors (if they do).   And that can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, or millions, depending on timing. 

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One thing these players often fail to consider is that by delaying the start of their pro career, they very likely are delaying the date at which they first reach the majors (if they do).   And that can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, or millions, depending on timing. 

Unfortunately the attention and boost you get from an org is often based on draft position.  So you might be better off going a year later if you are drafted higher. 

34 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Unfortunately the attention and boost you get from an org is often based on draft position.  So you might be better off going a year later if you are drafted higher. 

True, but only if you were drafted much lower (like 11th round or below) or are still under 21. Teams nowadays know almost everyone's number so there are very few situations when players aren't signed in the first 10 rounds with the new slotting system. As Frobby pointed out, delaying your professional career a year could cost you $700K or more if you reach the majors a year later than you might have. 

Obviously every situtation and player is different, so I'm not saying there's a one size fits all right answer, but very few guys come out with no leverage as a 22-year old and get more money than they would have received as a junior.

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

True, but only if you were drafted much lower (like 11th round or below) or are still under 21. Teams nowadays know almost everyone's number so there are very few situations when players aren't signed in the first 10 rounds with the new slotting system. As Frobby pointed out, delaying your professional career a year could cost you $700K or more if you reach the majors a year later than you might have. 

Obviously every situtation and player is different, so I'm not saying there's a one size fits all right answer, but very few guys come out with no leverage as a 22-year old and get more money than they would have received as a junior.

Yeah but if you are an 8th rounder you aren’t getting the leash of a 3rd rounder and also probably have to be significantly better for them to sit the third rounder.  You might be better off getting playing time while waiting another year.  Arguments both ways