Mariners set to sign Rodriguez?

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Really?  That's beyond aggressive IMO.  He was not a top-5 prospect last offseason.

It wouldn't have been for near the amount of money that Rodriguez got.

But yea, I'd be super aggressive with long term deals and fastracking promotions for premium talent.

I'm firmly convinced it's the way to go.

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It wouldn't have been for near the amount of money that Rodriguez got.

But yea, I'd be super aggressive with long term deals and fastracking promotions for premium talent.

I'm firmly convinced it's the way to go.

There's definitely merit to this strategy but I think that the farther you get from elite prospects, the likelihood that the player ends up with no major league value increases rapidly.  I think you really only want to seek early contracts for position players that are top-10-ish MLB prospects.  Given how fast Henderson went from top-50 to top-5, I'm a little wary of a long term deal with him before he sets foot on a major league diamond.

Edited by Hallas

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Side note to push one of my many agendas.

But, but, but you have to build a rapport.  You can't just throw money at them!!!!!

How about that, turns out you can sometimes throw money at them.

Sometimes.  I’m sure we can agree, it’s difficult to understand exactly how the signing process is handled in the DR and Venezuela.  You hear about having to be “attached” to high end kids by the time they’re 14 but you also hear that Basallo was originally attached to the Yankees.   There are certainly exceptions to every rule but it still seems like you have to have your foot in the door pretty early on most of the top guys.   You would assume that money still talks in the end.