Bases loaded, down a run, nobody out, 9th inning. Gotta love having Adley up in that situation.

Frobby

Now you have me thinking of all the possible situations where you might be credited with a game played in a bases loaded nobody out situation, but not a plate appearance.

- Batter injures himself checking swing on a 2-1 count that's called a ball.  Pinch hitter comes in and sees ball four, walk and PA is credited to the original batter but pinch hitter gets a game played with bases loaded/no out.

- Bench clearing brawl, ump ejects everyone not in the game.  Later a batter is up with loaded/no outs. Runner injures himself on a pickoff play.  Team is down to 8 players, cannot continue, game is forfeited to the other team.  Aren't there some cases where the stats count even in a forfeit? The '77 game Earl forfeited to the Jays looks like the stats counted.

- If a game is called due to weather or darkness in the middle of a PA, what happens with the scorekeeping for the last PA?

- Similar to the first one, if you're ejected/injured in the middle of such a PA but prior to three pitches I think the PA gets credited to the pinch hitter who replaces you.

- Prior to 1950 courtesy runners were informally allowed and in a handful cases in the 19th century the runner stood beside the plate and ran for the batter. Perhaps when they get around to documenting splits for that era the courtesy runner will get a game played in that situation but not a PA?

Lots of places to put info about how great Adley has been, but…

Since June 16 — the start of the second half of June and, more importantly, my birthday — the MLB fWAR leaderboard reads as follows:

1. Aaron Judge (6.1)

2. Freddie Freeman (4.8)

3. Nolan Arenado (4.6)

T-4. Alex Bregman (4.2)

T-4. Adley Rutschman (4.2) 

And more directly on topic, during that span (roughly), he also ranks 4th in MLB in WPA. Which offers some insight into his clutchiness, I would offer.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Just drilling down on that.  In 73 PA, he had 18 sac flies.  That’s a rather incredible ratio.   He also walked 5 times.  And, he had 24 hits.   So right there, that’s 47 times out of 73 PA that at least one run scored, or 64% of the time. That doesn’t include any runs that scored on ground balls he hit.   

You're right. That doesn't mean that he will actually drive in a run every time. But 85 RBI in 73 PA is 1.16 expected RBI per plate appearance with the bases loaded and no outs. I'll take that every time. 

• Upvote 1