Twins Owner Carl Pohlad Dies at 93

BaltimoreTerp

Sad. For all the bad you can say about Pohlad, he did make the Twins champs, and on a budget, AND created THE model for small-market teams to compete with the big boys. The obit I read made it sound like he lived and died by the Twins. Sorta like Angelos. Did I say that out loud? PASSION, for your home team, even if you limit their budget, is a GOOD thing. Rest very peacefully, good sir.

Sad. For all the bad you can say about Pohlad, he did make the Twins champs, and on a budget, AND created THE model for small-market teams to compete with the big boys. The obit I read made it sound like he lived and died by the Twins. Sorta like Angelos. Did I say that out loud? PASSION, for your home team, even if you limit their budget, is a GOOD thing. Rest very peacefully, good sir.

Then why did he offer them up for contraction? Seems to me his PASSION for the Twins went only so far as a taxpayer-funded stadium with dozens of luxury boxes and/or a guaranteed profit from the other owners on the contraction fee.

Then why did he offer them up for contraction? Seems to me his PASSION for the Twins went only so far as a taxpayer-funded stadium with dozens of luxury boxes and/or a guaranteed profit from the other owners on the contraction fee.

Which would make him pretty much like most of the owners in MLB! :laughlol:

True. That was in the obit I read too. Unconscienable (sp?) really, but like Mad Mark said, how many MLB owners wouldn't take the money and run?

I compared Pohlad to Angelos, because they seen to be the same kind of guys. Passion for the team and the city, at the same time being shrewd to even heartless businessmen.

My family is from Minnesota and the vibe I get from them is that he won't be missed at all.

I'm guessing Angelos won't be missed (much) either, on the fans hopes that any alternative is better than the current situation. Be careful what you wish for...

Archived