2023 #9 Prospect Chayce McDermott - RHP

Tony-OH

9 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I bet he's tough to steal on. He's very quick from the stretch. I like that for my pitcher.

It will help with his relief floor for sure. But he convinced me last season to keep running him out as a starter for now to see what they got, even if he's starting to get up there in prospect age.

When a pitcher has stuff like McDermott has, I would think, you stress to him how the quality of his stuff lets him pitch in the zone. He may need to have a mindset of, "trust your stuff and don't nibble," more than focusing on throwing his pitches perfectly. Seems like an obvious thing but young guys tend to want to be perfect with their execution when first come up. When in actuality a guy like McDermott can beat guys in the zone even when the pitch is not exactly where he and the catcher wanted it. 

I always wonder about guys like this if the BB% is a function of striving for exquisite command when adequate command will do just fine. Top those thoughts off with the over emphasis many place of velocity and you have a recipe where a very talented young pitcher can't get out of his own way because he's focusing on what he can't do and not maximizing what he can do on the mound.