2023 #9 Prospect Chayce McDermott - RHP

Tony-OH

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I had this one wrong. I assumed you would value Norby and Horvath similarly and would have them both over McDermott since he has more of a reliever profile.

That said, I think this is the way I would rank them. I would rather have McDermott vs Norby or Horvath. 

While McDermott's command is definitely a concern for him sticking as a starter, but the end of the year it had become less of an issue and two different plus breaking balls really stand out in c=giving him a shot at being a back of the rotation guy and a mid-rotation guy IF his command continues to improve. 

He's got a high floor because I see him a bit as a right-handed DL Hall, with a little less velocity but better offspeed selections.

I like having the pitch data you added.  It might be helpful to add some shading to indicate where the numbers are particularly good or bad.   Isn’t 2073 a very low spin rate for a fastball?  All the whiff rate numbers look good, though I don’t know what’s “normal.”  

I saw McDermott pitch for Bowie once in 2022 and his problem that day was an inconsistent curve that tied several hitters in knots but he also hung a couple that got destroyed.   Hopefully he’s overcome that inconsistency.   He seemed to make great strides in 2023.   

I really like this guy and think you could make a case for him being as high as 6 in this list (if you're down on Cowser). 

In the write-up, Tony says "Of course, command of all of his pitches is an ongoing issue for him, as evident from his 5.1 walk/9 though that dropped to 4.3/9 in AAA." 

As a reminder, AAA had the automated strike zone, so guys weren't getting strikes called that were actually balls. That indicates even more improvement than may be apparent in the 5.1 to 4.3 summary numbers. According to this article, BB rates actually went down when guys moved from AAA to the majors. That seems crazy based on the level of competition alone, so it seems like the automated zone really inflated walk rates in AAA this year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I really like this guy and think you could make a case for him being as high as 6 in this list (if you're down on Cowser). 

In the write-up, Tony says "Of course, command of all of his pitches is an ongoing issue for him, as evident from his 5.1 walk/9 though that dropped to 4.3/9 in AAA." 

As a reminder, AAA had the automated strike zone, so guys weren't getting strikes called that were actually balls. That indicates even more improvement than may be apparent in the 5.1 to 4.3 summary numbers. According to this article, BB rates actually went down when guys moved from AAA to the majors. That seems crazy based on the level of competition alone, so it seems like the automated zone really inflated walk rates in AAA this year.

The automatic strike zone may have helped McDermott.  He’s got a big breaking curveball that really goes down.  Umps tend to miss that pitch a lot.  

I do think that there is something to a player actually getting reliever experience in AAA before being asked to do it at the MLB level.  I just don't think we're hurting that badly for relievers just quite yet.  Starting Pitching is just so hard to come by.  Hopefully, one of Mcdermott, Povich, and Johnson, can develop into a MLB level SP.  Having them being cheap rotation options will allow us to spend elsewhere.  

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

@Frobby asked and he shall receive. 

Here's a Chayce McDermott Highlight video. Please like and subscribe to the channel. Thanks.

What, only 15 pitches here?   Watching this, it seemed like McDermott’s strikeouts came from swings on pitches outside the zone more than Povich.  Personally, I kind of like Povich’s delivery and pitch mix better, if he can stay ahead of hitters and throw strikes.  

I’ve never subscribed to a YouTube channel before and don’t know how, but I will try to figure it out.  Thanks for all the hard work!

12 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'm not sure how meaningful it is, but I like that athletic delivery. I also think his ability to throw the fastball at the knees helps him get chases below the zone.

And that single change up they showed was sick. If he masters that, he's worth watching.

Agree on the changeup.  That was a nice one.  Good separation between the change (84 mph) and the fastball (95).