Foul Territory live from O's camp today - 11am

spleen1015

I watched this yesterday and it was pretty enjoyable.  They had interviews with Dean Kremer, Gunnar Henderson, John Means, Ryan O’Hearn, Ryan Mountcastle and Craig Kimbrel.   The interviews on this show tend to be very relaxed and casual compared to what you see on MLB Network or MASN.   

One point that I found really interesting is that they asked one of the pitchers (I think it was Means, could have been Kremer) why Tommy John surgery is so common.  He offered the theory that it’s because pitchers are “chasing movement.”   Back in the old days, pitchers were trying to throw hard but they didn’t have measurements on spin rate, vertical movement, horizontal drop etc.  Now everyone is trying to shape their pitches and that may require altering the delivery in ways that aren’t natural for the pitcher, thus adding stress to the arm.  That’s a theory I haven’t heard before and it makes some sense to me.  

Gunnar mentioned that he’s sharing a house with Adley, Stowers and two other players he mentioned on Siesta Key.  They have fishing competition going that he’s winning handily.  They usually order DoorDash and are in bed by 10.  The interviewers teased him about moving to 3B so that Holliday could play SS and Gunnar made it very clear he considers himself a SS.

O’Hearn and Mountcastle had live BP against Grayson right before their interviews and Mountcastle hit a homer off him that hit the top of the fence and bounced over.  Grayson is a notorious trash talker during BP and otherwise, and Mounty flashed him a double bird as he was running to 1B.  (Not a story you’d hear in a MASN interview.)

O’Hearn mentioned that he’d been working with Adam Jones on his outfield play and that Jones had helped him on how to handle line drives hit directly over his head.  

Mountcastle (I think) mentioned that Jackson Holliday likes to play ping pong.  He was asked if they still used the same table JJ Hardy had brought in when he was on the team.  That prompted Mountcastle to say that when Hardy was in camp as a guest coach he was kicking everyone’s butt in ping pong.  

Kimbrel was dragged into an interview while heading to an on-site pond to go fishing.   He was wearing a big black fishing cap with an Orioles logo that I’d love to have.  He said he fishes at the pond pretty much every day after practice.   

The whole thing was on YouTube so I assume the link still works.  They spent about half of the 2+ hour show on topics other than the Orioles, but it was easy to find the interviews and skip the other stuff.  The first one was at about the 27 minute mark.  

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Kimbrel was dragged into an interview while heading to an on-site pond to go fishing.   He was wearing a big black fishing cap with an Orioles logo that I’d love to have.  He said he fishes at the pond pretty much every day after practice.   

The hat was a transparent mesh. He had an O’s doo-rag underneath that was visible through the hat.

So, don’t strain yourself scouring the internet looking for the hat.

• Thanks 1