Geromino Gil

Why Not?

Can someone explain how the Mexican League came to be a Triple-A league? I'm sorry, but any league in which Geronimo Gil can post a 1.000-plus OPS gets no credibility from me.

It's not. The teams are unaffiliated. But I think there is some agreement between the Mexican League and "Minor League Baseball". That's why the Mexican League is included on the minors' website.

Can someone explain how the Mexican League came to be a Triple-A league? I'm sorry, but any league in which Geronimo Gil can post a 1.000-plus OPS gets no credibility from me.

In terms of talent the Mexican League is roughly AA-quality. They're called AAA because of some kind of agreement with the majors. Gil was playing in Mexico City, which is about 2000 ft. higher than Denver. League's maybe 75% or 80% as good as the majors, 120 or higher park factor... So it's no too surprising that a .600 OPS major leaguer could put up a 1.000 there.

The Mexico City Red Devils have a team OPS of .875 and are nearly 30 games over .500 with a team ERA of 4.78. I was thinking they should look into a humidor, but if they're 30 games over .500... why?

Archived