Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

2 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

This is the 2nd straight year that Elias has wasted trade assets and over paid for a pitcher that isn't going to help the Os. Last year it was Flaherty, this year Rogers. 

True, but at least Elias made some good moves this year--the Eflin trade looks great, he got Slater and Jimenez for nothing and Dominguez is probably our second best reliever now.  

In my mind, Elias' biggest weakness is dumpster diving, and thinking the Orioles can fix pitchers that just aren't that good. At the time of the trade I thought it was a reckless use of trade assets that would have been better used for a better bullpen piece. Trading for any player with control is useless if that player isn't very good

• Upvote 2

Just now, cnmilton said:

In my mind, Elias' biggest weakness is dumpster diving, and thinking the Orioles can fix pitchers that just aren't that good. At the time of the trade I thought it was a reckless use of trade assets that would have been better used for a better bullpen piece. Trading for any player with control is useless if that player isn't very good

Except he has a very good track record with dumpster diving.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

This pitcher is hot garbage. A big middle finger to everyone who chastised me for saying it was a bad trade.

Yup, a baseball novice could have looked at his bottom tier pitching metrics and told the FO to stay very far away.

Terrible trade playing out as ugly as one could imagine. You don’t go to the farmers market and offer double for the spotty and soon to expire eggplant because a few others are taking a gander and saying well maybe if we cut this part off it could still be edible.

Elias is a smart man; here he didn’t display any of that intelligence.

Don’t want to see Rogers pitch another inning for the O’s this season unless it’s mop up duty.

3 minutes ago, fansince71 said:

Except he has a very good track record with dumpster diving.

That's all well and good when trying to claw into a contention role, but a huge gamble when trying to compete fora championship. It would have served the Os better to use those trade assets for more proven bullpen arms than overpaying for a LHP with spotty (at best) success after his rookie season, who also could have been acquired this coming off-season for much less trade capital than at a sellers market trade deadline. 

The Orioles traded just Darrell Hernaiz for both Irvin and Virbitsky last offseason.

It cost both Norby and Stowers for Rogers at this year's trade deadline. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think he gets another start, but I wouldn't complain if they shelved Rogers from a starting role right now and have him focus on getting ready for 2025 since he's under control. Any chance Rogers gets non tendered if he shows absolutely nothing the remainder of the season?

I don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't rule it out.

No chance, Elias hangs onto assets for dear life.  Look how long he held onto McKenna and Irvin.  Look how he's still holding onto Urias. 

37 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

This is the 2nd straight year that Elias has wasted trade assets and over paid for a pitcher that isn't going to help the Os. Last year it was Flaherty, this year Rogers. 

Although your basic point is correct, the Os gave up Drew Rom for Flaherty, and that wasn’t much to pay.

35 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

True, but at least Elias made some good moves this year--the Eflin trade looks great, he got Slater and Jimenez for nothing and Dominguez is probably our second best reliever now.  

Jimenez cost nothing but is worth nothing. He’s had what, five hits, all on the ground, and he has zero value on defense or on the bases.

1 hour ago, HowAboutThat said:

Although your basic point is correct, the Os gave up Drew Rom for Flaherty, and that wasn’t much to pay.

That's inaccurate. The O's gave up Rom, Zack Showalter, and Cesar Prieto for Flaherty. 

Zack Showalter has had a nice 2024 and might have wound up as one of the O's best pitching prospects by next season if Elias hadn't dealt him away. So chances are pretty good that the Flaherty trade winds up being an overpay by Elias for a rental.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Brooks The Great said:

That's inaccurate. The O's gave up Rom, Zack Showalter, and Cesar Prieto for Flaherty. 

Zack Showalter has had a nice 2024 and might have wound up as one of the O's best pitching prospects by next season if Elias hadn't dealt him away. So chances are pretty good that the Flaherty trade winds up being an overpay by Elias for a rental.

I really liked Showalter. Kid is gonna be good. 

5 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I really liked Showalter. Kid is gonna be good. 

Me too. When the trade was first announced, Showalter wasn't mentioned as one of the players going to St. Louis. I remember thinking it was a good trade for Flaherty, thinking it was only Rom (a clear mediocre arm very likely to never contribute much at the major league level), and Prieto, a decent contact hitter who was completely blocked.

But as soon as I heard Showalter was the third player from the Orioles, I felt much worse about the trade, thought it was too much for a rental, and immediately regretted losing such a promising arm from a system with very few of them.

Edited by Brooks The Great
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I was always a fan of Showalter, and he was (by far) my least favorite piece to give up in that Flaherty deal, but…

He’s 20 years old in Low A, working one-inning reliever stints and (per my Twitter research 10 seconds ago) gaining kudos for once touching 94.0 MPH as a season-high velo.

I think chances are pretty good that we’re going to survive letting him go.

1 hour ago, cnmilton said:

I agree. And that philosophy of dumpster diving and "fixing" pitchers is also unfortunately reflected in the all the drafts under Elias and Blood/Ciolek. 

Elias/Sig/Blood/Ciolek have been great at identifying hitters in the first 3-5 rounds of the draft, but their results with pitching overall and college hitters specifically after round 2 - as @Tony-OH has pointed out several times - have been poor. 

Elias is phenomenal at building an organization based on a tanking strategy. His transactions and management of a loaded roster at the major league level post-tank are much more lackluster.

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I was always a fan of Showalter, and he was (by far) my least favorite piece to give up in that Flaherty deal, but…

He’s 20 years old in Low A, working one-inning reliever stints and (per my Twitter research 10 seconds ago) gaining kudos for once touching 94.0 MPH as a season-high velo.

I think chances are pretty good that we’re going to survive letting him go.

Even Showalter turning out to be a high-leverage reliever would be a pitching win that all of the Elias drafts to date have failed to produce with any kind of consistency. 

We'll survive letting Norby and Stowers go, too. But that doesn't change that it was a poor trade.