Bring up Brandon Young for the bullpen?

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm guessing they feel Young is "starter" depth so they're going to keep on starting him, but if they did think he's going to fill a reliever role, then they need to get him used to warming up quickly and pitching more often on less rest in AAA. You don't know how a pitcher can do those things until they've done them and asking a guy to do things out of his routing, at the major league level, seems to be a recipe for disaster. 

This is why I preferred McDermott be converted to a reliever this year. Maybe he would have been able to fill a bullpen role this year vice being on the shelf with an injury.  

But now we are at the end of the season and need the pen to be better. Even if you aren’t ready to completely pull the plug on him being a starter, you can still do it for now..and go back to that role next year.

13 hours ago, Say O! said:

I don’t disagree about multi inning relievers. But the Os brass does…they prefer more frequent one inning type appearances, whether matchup dictated or staying less than 20# pitch count.  Two years ago, a guy like Akin would go 2-3 innings.  Now that rarely if ever occurs. 

And by and large it's not our relievers who are getting injured (of course, Bautista is a notable exception). Arguably the shorter/more frequent usage is affecting performance but up until the second half of this year, our bullpen guys have mostly pitched over their heads, if anything, and stayed healthy. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

But now we are at the end of the season and need the pen to be better. Even if you aren’t ready to completely pull the plug on him being a starter, you can still do it for now..and go back to that role next year.

I agree, but they need to see him do it a bit in AAA before bringing him up to the major leagues in a role he's never done before IMHO.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I agree, but they need to see him do it a bit in AAA before bringing him up to the major leagues in a role he's never done before IMHO.

That’s fair but the other side to that is, can it get any worse if they try it here instead?

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

And by and large it's not our relievers who are getting injured (of course, Bautista is a notable exception). Arguably the shorter/more frequent usage is affecting performance but up until the second half of this year, our bullpen guys have mostly pitched over their heads, if anything, and stayed healthy. 

Coulombe and Webb say hi! they were two of the Orioles high leverage relievers this season and losing them both have pushed guys up into roles they may not be good fits for.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Coulombe and Webb say hi! they were two of the Orioles high leverage relievers this season and losing them both have pushed guys up into roles they may not be good fits for.

Yes, there have been injuries. I still say the overall track record under Hyde is good. 

The Braves have the fewest Games In Relief in MLB and they had like five bullpen injuries just in the month of May. 

The Guardians are leading MLB in GIR and their bullpen is doing pretty well. 

Just saw this about Young: A 6-foot-6 right-hander, Young is more about a complete repertoire -- with the chance to have a legitimate four-pitch mix -- than he is about wow stuff. His fastball in 2024 sat around 92-93 mph, topping out at 96, an effective pitch with some armside run.

5 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Just saw this about Young: A 6-foot-6 right-hander, Young is more about a complete repertoire -- with the chance to have a legitimate four-pitch mix -- than he is about wow stuff. His fastball in 2024 sat around 92-93 mph, topping out at 96, an effective pitch with some armside run.

His FB was 92-94 tonight.  He also throws a curve, change, sinker, & sweeper. 

5 of 10 Ks tonight were swinging.  4 on FB and 1 on sinker.  

On 8/22/2024 at 10:56 AM, Aristotelian said:

Yes, there have been injuries. I still say the overall track record under Hyde is good. 

The Braves have the fewest Games In Relief in MLB and they had like five bullpen injuries just in the month of May. 

The Guardians are leading MLB in GIR and their bullpen is doing pretty well. 

I can’t defend the pen this year. For me, this is the worst pen usage in years. There are no defined roles. None at all. In fairness, Kimbrel had a role and crapped the bed as we all know. But there is not a clear set up group. Traditionally, you want your guys to have established roles, so they can get into a solid routine. Buck was a master at that. 

I do fault them for using Bautista for many two inning saves, and then he used him three days in a row frequently. Hyde rides his guys way too much. Coulombe and Webb were bound to break down. This is why we cannot have nice things. I don’t know if it is his idea or Elias, Sig and Eve. You cannot win them all, but you will lose more when your best guys arms fall off. 

Which leads me to the next thing. Pitch sequences and tripling up on the same pitch…is driving me insane. This often results in long home runs.

My own personal belief with all of the injuries is these data organizations trying to get Ferrari performance by tweaking Hyundai engines. It just doesn’t work out well. Max effort, sustained, from frames that are not used to supporting it, what could go wrong?

I have read the defense that other teams do it. That doesn’t make it smart, or the right thing to do. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

I can’t defend the pen this year. For me, this is the worst pen usage in years. There are no defined roles. None at all. In fairness, Kimbrel had a role and crapped the bed as we all know. But there is not a clear set up group. Traditionally, you want your guys to have established roles, so they can get into a solid routine. Buck was a master at that. 

I do fault them for using Bautista for many two inning saves, and then he used him three days in a row frequently. Hyde rides his guys way too much. Coulombe and Webb were bound to break down. This is why we cannot have nice things. I don’t know if it is his idea or Elias, Sig and Eve. You cannot win them all, but you will lose more when your best guys arms fall off. 

Which leads me to the next thing. Pitch sequences and tripling up on the same pitch…is driving me insane. This often results in long home runs.

My own personal belief with all of the injuries is these data organizations trying to get Ferrari performance by tweaking Hyundai engines. It just doesn’t work out well. Max effort, sustained, from frames that are not used to supporting it, what could go wrong?

I have read the defense that other teams do it. That doesn’t make it smart, or the right thing to do. 

I don't think there is much data to support that our guys are injured more frequently under Hyde's system. We are #8 in reliever games, above average but not crazily so. #1 is Cleveland which has one of the top bullpens. We have had two major injuries this year. I don't know, is that bad? That seems pretty normal. It maybe seems bad because Hyde's system has worked pretty well up until now. 

I think the roles are pretty clear. Except for the closer, they know they are going to match up with 3-5 guys and they know who they are going to face each night. Cano is going to get the middle of the order, the closer gets the 9th, and the rest of the guys match up. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think there is much data to support that our guys are injured more frequently under Hyde's system. We are #8 in reliever games, above average but not crazily so. #1 is Cleveland which has one of the top bullpens. We have had two major injuries this year. I don't know, is that bad? That seems pretty normal. It maybe seems bad because Hyde's system has worked pretty well up until now. 

I think the roles are pretty clear. Except for the closer, they know they are going to match up with 3-5 guys and they know who they are going to face each night. Cano is going to get the middle of the order, the closer gets the 9th, and the rest of the guys match up. 

You make some good points there. It isn’t just serious injuries, though. It is about being banged up, but still functional and being able to actually contribute. It is ineffectiveness and lack of development. For instance, Cano pitched in 5 of 7 games before 3 games off. He wasn’t very good before getting the break. His velo and sharpness was much better today. He now has 59 appearances. 

I am normally not a guy who criticizes Hyde and Elias. No one is perfect. I am often accused of being an Elias apologist. However, I think it’s fair to say this pen construction and usage has contributed significantly to this two month stinky stretch.

i will say that Dominguez is beginning to look like a closer. Kudos to Elias for acquiring him. I think Soto could be huge for us too.