Top 10 Living Position Players

OriolesMagic83

I was watching MLB Tonight and they were discussing who was in the Top 10 Living Players (position players and pitchers).  They had Ohtani #1.  Which I think is ridiculous and 98% percent based on OMG he hits and pitches.  I thought it would be cool to see everyone's lists but break it into position players and pitchers (I guess Ohtani would go on position players). 

1.  Bonds

2.  Griffey

3.  Schmidt

4.  Trout

5.  Henderson

6.  Johnny Bench

7.  Albert Pujols

8.  Cal Ripken

9.  A Rod

10.  Frank Thomas

Too soon for me to rank Ohtani and Judge, who is probably about to win his 2nd MVP and hit 60 HR for the 2nd time.

I'm probably unfairly biased towards guys I actually saw.  There's probably some great guy in the 1960's I totally snubbed.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hope Jeter wasn’t on their list. 

For me, it’s not unfair to put Ohtani in the top spot or anywhere in the top 3. 

This is an interesting exercise, one I’d have to give some thought to and come back later.  

I guess it depends on how you look at it.  Is it the greatest player at a moment in time, in which case it might be Ohtani, or is it the greatest player for his career, which I would have a hard time saying it is Ohtani.

It's easy to come up with names that aren't on the list and you think should be:   Eddie Murray and George Brett came immediately to mind.   

But deciding who to bump off to make room for them is where it gets tricky.   I think I would nudge Frank Thomas off the list to make room for one of those guys.

I guess Ichiro and Carew are too one dimensional to really be considered.   Jim Thome as well.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

It's easy to come up with names that aren't on the list and you think should be:   Eddie Murray and George Brett came immediately to mind.   

But deciding who to bump off to make room for them is where it gets tricky.   I think I would nudge Frank Thomas off the list to make room for one of those guys.

I guess Ichiro and Carew are too one dimensional to really be considered.   Jim Thome as well.

It was just my list, not any expert list.  I was just interested in hearing other people's lists.  We can all look up the top 10 career players by WAR and list them. 

• 2 weeks later...