This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy

RZNJ

1 hour ago, Conway12 said:

Wasn't sure of the right place to post this. Thought this was interesting in light of this discussion. No idea what is going on with the Phillies rotation at the moment. 

I said before the season that the Os needed to be aggressive with Johnson. He should have started in AAA or at least been moved there quickly.

I do feel he was a bit much to trade for Soto but I also doubt we see him become much more than a decent reliever.

20 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

There are a bunch of success stories when it comes to acquiring other org's minor league pitchers and developing them as well as acquiring bullpen arms and tweaking things and making them better. The Elias regime has excelled on that front. It's amazing we've been able to maintain relatively solid starting pitching over the last 2+ years without drafting and developing one ourselves. So I think it's been a strategy that has worked, the question is how sustainable is it. 

That said, the main point that I have (and potentially Tony's, too) is in regard to having success stories for pitchers we've drafted and developed. That's yet to come to fruition.

Hi Puck , nice post and want to say I’m with you and Tony on Orioles drafting pitching and so far no luck yet with them . What I found interesting about Elias drafting the bats to trade them for pitching is……..other teams seem more in our pitchers rather than our hitters .  They wanted Povich , Seth , McDermott, etc . When we having over surplus of hitters , we have to devalue them a bit before we can trade them for pitchers . I’m concerned that method is not sustainable for us 

10 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Hi Puck , nice post and want to say I’m with you and Tony on Orioles drafting pitching and so far no luck yet with them . What I found interesting about Elias drafting the bats to trade them for pitching is……..other teams seem more in our pitchers rather than our hitters .  They wanted Povich , Seth , McDermott, etc . When we having over surplus of hitters , we have to devalue them a bit before we can trade them for pitchers . I’m concerned that method is not sustainable for us 

I'm on the same page that trading high prospect position players (Norby) for pitchers *and* trading pitchers that are near MLB ready (Johnson, Chace) for marginal/situational arms (see: Soto, Rogers) isn't sustainable unless they hit on their international players and actually spend money and medium/long term contracts in free agency for pitchers. Maybe free agency goes a better way this offseason with Rubenstein, but that is still early to tell. We have a bunch of international pitching prospects climbing the ranks, but that's also an unknown. We've yet to see an international arm or a drafted/developed arm under the Elias regime reach the majors for the Orioles. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

I hope he is retained for years to come, though not everyone feels the same.  I would hope to see some adjustments moving forward, but he's done one hell of a job thus far.

I also hope we can retain Elias for years more . Having said that , my 🙋 questions regarding him is………does he have ability to recognize and question his own strategies and adapt to them ?   Can he handle success and make adjustments like increasing payroll , make moves designed for playoffs , how to improve pitching development for drafted pitchers , etc etc ?   Does he know a rebuilding team and a playoff contender are two different things ? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Allan Bryant said:

I also hope we can retain Elias for years more . Having said that , my 🙋 questions regarding him is………does he have ability to recognize and question his own strategies and adapt to them ?   Can he handle success and make adjustments like increasing payroll , make moves designed for playoffs , how to improve pitching development for drafted pitchers , etc etc ?   Does he know a rebuilding team and a playoff contender are two different things ? 

I think he has shown he knows the difference between rebuilding and being a contender.  He’s traded Hall, Ortiz, Baumeister, Etzel, Horvath, Stowers, Norby, Johnson and Chace away for major league talent this year.  You may or may not like all of those moves, but they aren’t moves a rebuilding team makes, for sure.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think he has shown he knows the difference between rebuilding and being a contender.  He’s traded Hall, Ortiz, Baumeister, Etzel, Horvath, Stowers, Norby, Johnson and Chace away for major league talent this year.  You may or may not like all of those moves, but they aren’t moves a rebuilding team makes, for sure.  

He’s traded away at least nine guys, and I can think of some others he’s traded, Tracy McGough? For instance?

The point isn’t that he traded them; rather, the point is whether he traded them for lasting value, or even temporary value. The Rogers trade has been laughable so far, and not the good kind of laughter either. Soto May be ok. Eflin looks great if he can keep healthy, Jiminez is limited at best. Slater is useful, but fourth outfielders hardly move the needle.

So as I and others have mentioned, the question is whether Elias can now pivot to a different strategy. And we won’t know until the coming off-season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You know what drives me crazy? Mosquitos.

Also people who put their brakes on for no reason when you're behind them.

For me it’s people who don’t know how to drive in a roundabout. Country bumpkins. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You know what drives me crazy? Mosquitos.

Also people who put their brakes on for no reason when you're behind them.

The second one.  Or stopped at a red light and only put their blinker on when the light turns green.  Or swing out to the right to make a left turn.