Is it possible that our organization's emphasis on new technologies, data driven analysis, etc has perhaps gone a little too far...

SteveA

🔥 🔥 🔥 

Fire.  This team needs a group of players that will lock the coaches and reporters out of the locker room and light some heat under their 🫏’s.  It doesn’t just need to come from Hyde.  

We need some hardcore, old school chew you out leaders.  The question is, does this club have those type of players?

9 minutes ago, Cheetos said:

🔥 🔥 🔥 

Fire.  This team needs a group of players that will lock the coaches and reporters out of the locker room and light some heat under their 🫏’s.  It doesn’t just need to come from Hyde.  

We need some hardcore, old school chew you out leaders.  The question is, does this club have those type of players?

maxresdefault.jpg

9 minutes ago, Cheetos said:

🔥 🔥 🔥 

And the question that goes with it is, does that always make a difference? When it works, and the firebrand is a peak Frank Robinson, we hear all about it. When it happens and doesn't work, it doesn't make for a good press narrative. 

I doubt the O's emphasis on new tech, data and analytics are that different from most other teams.  And I doubt it was much different early in the season and last season when the team was playing well.

People are expecting too much from such a banged up team.  Yet, having said that, I'm actually kind of amazed the starting rotation is still fairly good.  But I'm not surprised our bullpen is not very good.  Not enough attention was given to relief pitching in the offseason imo.  

Hitting will come around as hurt players heal and young players come into their own.  Failing that the team will have their work cut out for them in the FA and trade market this offseason.

And I've said it before and will probably say it again -- there needs to be far more attention on the bullpen this offseason.

16 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I think he just needed consistent at bats.

Norby was hitting fine even as an Oriole.  The concern was always about his glove and the assumption there would never be a position for him -- which was true until all of Westburg, Urias, Mountcastle and Kjerstad got hurt.  He was always trade bait -- just unfortunately traded for the wrong player.

1 hour ago, EddeeEddee said:

Another thing.  Did the tech and analytics approach hold back Connor Norby's development?  Clearly not the way he's been crushing the ball for the Marlins.

I'm not concerned here. His 86 EV suggests he's very much not crushing the ball. If you're going to be a good hitter in the majors with that low of an EV, you'd better have Steven Kwan's eye and contact skills. Norby has neither. He's a second division starter on a heater. 

That being said, we just started Livan Soto at 2B.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

I'm not concerned here. His 86 EV suggests he's very much not crushing the ball. If you're going to be a good hitter in the majors with that low of an EV, you'd better have Steven Kwan's eye and contact skills. Norby has neither. He's a second division starter on a heater. 

That being said, we just started Livan Soto at 2B.

I'm just starting to get into the savant data stuff, so you'd know better than me.  But couldn't Norby's quality data for Barrel % (14.3) and LA Sweet Spot (47.1) offset that somewhat? 

Anyway, don't want to make this a Connor Norby thread -- especially since he's not an Oriole anymore -- or a data thread, but it could be something cool to talk about somewhere else.

But I will ask did Luis Matos have a good EV? 😀

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I'm just starting to get into the savant data stuff, so you'd know better than me.  But couldn't Norby's quality data for Barrel % (14.3) and LA Sweet Spot (47.1) offset that somewhat? 

Anyway, don't want to make this a Connor Norby thread -- especially since he's not an Oriole anymore -- or a data thread, but it could be something cool to talk about somewhere else.

But I will ask did Luis Matos have a good EV? 😀

I'm glad you brought it up, I've been looking for an excuse to hate on Norby. 

In the long run, it's not possible for a slugger. Sluggers hit the ball hard. You need to be an outstanding contact hitter at ~86 EV to be a good hitter. Altuve, Kwan, and Arraez make it work. .300 Hitters. The rest at ~86 are Austin Hedges or Jorge Mateo types that are just not good at hitting.

You could argue it's a small sample size but Norby's EV at Norfolk was 87.8 this year, too. Which is terrible. Lower than noted sluggers Niko Goodrum, Peyton Burdick, and David Banuelos. Mayo, Kjerstad, Holliday, and Stowers were all above 90.

EV isn't the end all, be all. But if you don't hit the ball hard and you don't make a lot of contact, you're not a good hitter. Norby's Contact% is really bad, too.

Btw, Luis Matos hit .300 in 2003, people forget.

My hot take is that we are at adjustment time.  The Orioles figured out an approach that was working.  They weren’t walking as much but were putting up a ton of runs.  Other teams adjusted to the approach.  The question now is whether the Orioles can adjust back.  So far, not so good.