4-17-09 Orioles at Red Sox

Rex Thunder

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look, I'm a Guthrie supporter, have been since day one. I love the guy, I wish we had 13 of him.

And yes, good pitchers sometimes walk guys. But you don't see them walking leadoff guys on four pitches after their team puts up a 7 spot for them.

LOL. How on earth can you say that with a straight face? Can we find the stats on this?

Not to harp as this argument is lasting way too long- but the strike zone is completely wacky. Guts had a long est between innings. Most importantly- THIS IS still only his 3rd year in the majors. He is still learning. He is a very good pitcher, but still a lot to learn.

Not a single pitcher in the majors is beyond making a minor league mistake IMO.

In fact, I recall Josh Beckett walking multiple batters in a game against us a year or two agi- in the same inning after his team took a lead. But oh- I guess because it's a SEVEN run lead in particular that he is so bad.

Alright- that's it. :)

LOL. How on earth can you say that with a straight face? Can we find the stats on this?

Not to harp as this argument is lasting way too long- but the strike zone is completely wacky. Guts had a long est between innings. Most importantly- THIS IS still only his 3rd year in the majors. He is still learning. He is a very good pitcher, but still a lot to learn.

In fact, I recall Josh Beckett walking multiple batters in a game against us a year or two agi- in the same inning after his team took a lead. But oh- I guess because it's a SEVEN run lead in particular that he is so bad.

Seconded. :thumbsup1:

God save us all when Guthrie has a rocky outing and his team helps him out to preserve the win and the fans don't throw him under the bus. Unconscionable.

At least Guthrie is getting run support this year. I can remember at least 4-5 games last year where he pitched great, but received no help from the bats.

Whatchu talkin bout Shackleford?

No really, who here is displaying a lack of baseball knowledge? I don't see it.

We've got multiple people acting like Guthrie was somehow negligent for failing to "pound the strike zone" after he sat while the O's batted around and sent 10 guys to the plate. Then, when it's pointed out that that's what happened, and going back to the mound is like coming into the game without warming up, somebody else says that he did have a chance to warm-up, which is complete BS. They don't get to warm up. They get 8 measly pitches, that's it. So, not only do we have ignorance of the situation, we also have ignorance of the rules, combined with an overwhelming desire to say dumb things about Guthrie being somehow incompetent. Meanwhile, the record shows that after Guts was able to get back in a rhythm, he's back to doing fine. So, IMO, we have massive displays of basic ignorance about baseball, combined with ample ability to say dumb things.

Less :epic: more :grouphug: !

Well, the good news is at least Manny Del Carmen shouldn't be available for the game tomorrow after extended innings today.

I'm much happier seeing Okajima coming out at some point as we seem to have his number.

He had a 1.something (really low, whatever it was) ERA last year against all teams but the Orioles I believe.

I never said Guthrie was "bad."

Archived