Please draft Green!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Green is overrated, and is probably only a Top 15 talent now. He doesn't have the patience of Ackley or the power of Poythress and it's questionable if he can stick at the SS position. If he can't that takes away most of the value in his bat.

If the Orioles can upgrade their other positions, they don't have to worry about having a SS that can hit. The days of Tejada and Nomar are gone. SS's are now speedy light hitting defensive wizards for the most part.

He's having a down year, (for him, anyway.)

That might be a good thing for us. Others might pass on him because of it, and it might hurt his salary damands from Bora$.

Let's not forget he was sensational in the Cape Cod League last year. Remember, this is a wood bat league with premium pitching and talent. Also, even in his 'down' year, he's hitting .372. Many (though not all) think he can likely stay at SS.

I'm a Poythress guy, personally. Most people don't think he deserves a top 10 pick, despite his lofty numbers. Green has as much upside as anyone and I'd be pleased if picked him.

Now, here's a shortstop that's not green & is just about major league ready !

Time to give Amaro a call !

With the price that teams put on prospects, and the hype that Donald has gotten over the past year, it would take a small fortune to get him. Are you ok with a 1 for 1 swap with one of our top pitchers? Cause that's what they will be asking for.

You want to get good value for a guy that might be blocked you need to shoot lower than AA. You saw this last year with Donald, and Escobar in MIL.

I'm not totally anti-Green, I like him. I just like a couple players more. If he's the best guy on the board at 5, I'll get over it, I just don't take him over Matzek, Ackley or Strasburg, and there are a few other guys that he is neck and neck with. (right now I think highly enough of Davidson I'd think about that one, even though it might be a little stretch).

Green is overrated, and is probably only a Top 15 talent now. He doesn't have the patience of Ackley or the power of Poythress and it's questionable if he can stick at the SS position. If he can't that takes away most of the value in his bat.

If the Orioles can upgrade their other positions, they don't have to worry about having a SS that can hit. The days of Tejada and Nomar are gone. SS's are now speedy light hitting defensive wizards for the most part.

You're putting way too much stock into college stats and are worrying too much about drafting for need for the big league club.

I'd take Green over Ackley, and it's a no-brainer for me.

That being said, there are many pitchers that will likely be avaiable that I would take over both Ackley and Green. It is becoming more and more clear that a pitcher is going to be the BPA at 1:5.

You're putting way too much stock into college stats and are worrying too much about drafting for need for the big league club.

I'd take Green over Ackley, and it's a no-brainer for me.

That being said, there are many pitchers that will likely be avaiable that I would take over both Ackley and Green. It is becoming more and more clear that a pitcher is going to be the BPA at 1:5.

What stats should I be putting stock into? His HS stats?

Ackley is going to go before Green because his bat plays just about anywhere. And he's hitting for power and average and has an advanced batting eye at the plate. The Orioles apparently think he can be an OFer again, and with the skills he has, he'd be the best position player available at #5 besides Poythress or Stassi.

As for pitchers I'll quote our own Gregg Pappas' findings:

Boswell's research coincides with my very own, shared here at the OH some time ago.

I used a ten year period from 1993-2002 to determine the success rates of the top ten draft picks from each year.

College Hitter > 69% (11/16)

HS Hitter > 63% (17/27)

HS Pitcher > 35% (8/23)

College Pitcher > 34% (11/32)

Conclusion: Hitters are nearly twice as likely to be better choices.

And the Orioles are 0-10 in that timespan of pitchers drafted, and with Loewen included 0-11

What stats should I be putting stock into? His HS stats?

Ackley is going to go before Green because his bat plays just about anywhere. The Orioles apparently think he can be an OFer again, and with the skills he has, he'd be the best position player available at #5 besides Poythress or Stassi.

As for pitchers I'll quote our own Gregg Pappas' findings:

You should put more stock into scouting reports because college stats can be very misleading with projecting a player.

The fact that you think we should never draft a pitcher in the first round is completely ridiculous. There is a reason that no team drafts solely college hitters and that's because it's dumb. Do you really think that you are that much smarter than all the other team's draft director?

Dustin Ackley would be a reach at #5 especially when guys like White, Matzek, an Crow are likely to still be available. Those guys are superior talents.

You should put more stock into scouting reports because college stats can be very misleading with projecting a player.

The fact that you think we should never draft a pitcher in the first round is completely ridiculous. There is a reason that no team drafts solely college hitters and that's because it's dumb. Do you really think that you are that much smarter than all the other team's draft director?

Dustin Ackley would be a reach at #5 especially when guys like White, Matzek, an Crow are likely to still be available. Those guys are superior talents.

I'm willing to wager barring injury, Ackley will be taken before all those players.

Have you even seen how these guys are performing?

Matzek may not be even the 2nd best prep arm. Crow is an injury risk and White, while he had a stellar start his last time out, hasn't exactly been the top college pitcher behind Strasburg. He didn't make BA's Midseason All American Team.

I'm willing to wager barring injury, Ackley will be taken before all those players.

Matzek may not be even the 2nd best prep arm. Crow is an injury risk and White, while he had a stellar start his last time out, hasn't exactly been the top college pitcher behind Strasburg. He didn't make BA's Midseason All American Team.

Yes, fortunately I don't rate my draft prospects on where they rank on BA's midseason all-american team.

with these guys, it's more about how they are projected to perform at the ML level.

If we drafted guys based on their college stats, Kent Mathhes would be picked #2 right behind Strasburg.

So, who are your top 5 players in this draft?

Archived