Commissioner YOU

Greg Pappas

Definitely the first change I would make is to shorten the season:

1. Cut the regular season back to 156 games. Start the season one week later in April and have World Series during the 1st week of October. No more sub-freezing temperatures and snow. Also eliminate inter-league play, return to a balanced schedule, and schedule at least 10 double-headers, both day/night games and a few old-fashioned Saturday or Sunday afternoon double-headers.

2. Restructure teams back to only 2 divisions in each league, East and West The top two teams in each of the four divisions will play a 5-game series to determine the division champ. The two division winners in each league then play a 5-game series to determine the AL and NL champs. These two teams then play a 7-game World Series.

(NOTE: During the next several years I expect to see several ML franchises fail as a result of both the economic situation and increasing competition from other sports.. When this happens, it will likely result in a major realignment of teams in both leagues and restructuring of the divisions.)

3. And since it has become obvious that umpires can’t “police” themselves, I would definitely implement an electronic system of some kind for ball and strike calls.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A reminder to all you salary cap and/or floor people out there: a cap/floor w/o vastly enhanced revenue sharing is simply a device to make the large-market teams more profitable.

Anybody here really want to see that?

Shorten the season by 20 or 30 games to start...even though I like to watch them all there are just way to many IMO.:o

Try to find a way to reset the divisions. Maybe try Roto style? Something like the old days. AL, NL, Top 6 teams in each conference make the playoffs. I guess thats kinda like Basketball.

Trades in the draft would be nice.

Salary floor and cap! And, maybe bring back the full on reserve clause...:mwahaha:

I don't know if you're being serious here...I seriously hope not.

Do you hate the players so much that you would return them to the modern equivalent of indentured servitude?

A reminder to all you salary cap and/or floor people out there: a cap/floor w/o vastly enhanced revenue sharing is simply a device to make the large-market teams more profitable.

Anybody here really want to see that?

I'm also for a good revenue sharing system not a cap system. We just need a good one and I don't know enough about it to define a good one.

I bolster this idea by making the draft mandatory for all players entering MLB. Everyone gets drafted, no exceptions.

I'd rather get rid of it altogether, once they somehow fix the tremendous revenue discrepancy. It lowers the importance of great scouting. When the O's began their 25 year streak of being good all the time, a big part of it was because they simply found-and-signed better players. They didn't sign any more of them, they just picked the right ones to sign and got it done. The draft makes everybody take turns, which means the O's could not have signed both Davey Johnson and Mark Belanger one year, and both Jim Palmer and Wally Bunker another year.

Plus, the draft gives kids no choice about which franchise their future is with. How would you feel if you got out of college with a a degree in whatever, and found out you could only go to work for 1 company, take it or leave it, because no other company could hire you? The draft is nothing but a ploy by owners to ensure that they don't have to compete with each other for young talent. That's all it is, it's nothing else but that. It serves no other function.

1. Add two more teams. Have 4 4 teams divisions in each league with the winner going to the playoffs.

2. Eliminate interleague play.

3. Return to the balanced schedule.

4. Eliminate territorial restrictions.

5. Buy out television rights for all teams and use as revenue sharing.

6. Soften up the ball.

7. Include all players in the draft, establish set price by round, and establish MLB funded academies in foreign countries. Each team pays 5% of gate to keep these running.

8. Set a minimum bat weight of 32 ounces, and a minimum handle thickness.

I bolster this idea by making the draft mandatory for all players entering MLB. Everyone gets drafted, no exceptions. MLB would then take over any team's over seas development facilities should the team so desire. Then tear up the weird deal with the Japanese league. If a player in Japan wants to enter the US draft, they should go for it.

Second, in order to properly implement revenue sharing, MLB should take over accounting for all teams. No teams should be able to hide revenue in regional TV networks or whatever shenanigans they could be pulling.

That's pretty much an unworkable idea. Especially for Japanese players. You're telling them that despite the fact they've played pro ball at a high level for many years they're ineligible for free agency in the US, and that they'll need to play six years for the Royals at whatever salary they can extract, from the Royals. (Yes, insert team of your choice instead of the Royals). No team is going to let a player under their control leave without compensation. And treating 30-year-old Japanese vets like high school kids is a slap in the face. You're basically telling guys like Koji Uehara you're not welcome here.

I guess you think that a worldwide draft is worth cutting off most Japanese players from access to the majors.

I'd rather get rid of it altogether, once they somehow fix the tremendous revenue discrepancy. It lowers the importance of great scouting. When the O's began their 25 year streak of being good all the time, a big part of it was because they simply found-and-signed better players. They didn't sign any more of them, they just picked the right ones to sign and got it done. The draft makes everybody take turns, which means the O's could not have signed both Davey Johnson and Mark Belanger one year, and both Jim Palmer and Wally Bunker another year.

Plus, the draft gives kids no choice about which franchise their future is with. How would you feel if you got out of college with a a degree in whatever, and found out you could only go to work for 1 company, take it or leave it, because no other company could hire you? The draft is nothing but a ploy by owners to ensure that they don't have to compete with each other for young talent. That's all it is, it's nothing else but that. It serves no other function.

The draft is just a patch to make up for the fact they screwed up by letting big market teams have all the money. There shouldn't be big/small market teams. Remove restrictions on where teams can move and implement market-size based revenue sharing and everyone will have roughly equal revenue pools. What kid goes to what team will be based on scouting, recruiting, who needs him the most, and personal preference.

The draft is just a patch to make up for the fact they screwed up by letting big market teams have all the money.

It might be a patch now, but that's not why they did it. The did it because the owners didn't wanna compete with each other and half to pay bonuses when they could sign kids for nothing. The main thing it did was eliminate signing bonuses. When they did it, it didn't hurt the MFY's, it hurt the Orioles because at the time BAL had the best scouting of anybody.

BTW, when exactly did signing bonuses come back? And why? I'm surprised the owners didn't nip that in the bud. (I know they tried to control it via slotting, but that requires that all the owners maintain discipline... same problem OPEC has.)

It might be a patch now, but that's not why they did it. The did it because the owners didn't wanna compete with each other and half to pay bonuses when they could sign kids for nothing. The main thing it did was eliminate signing bonuses. When they did it, it didn't hurt the MFY's, it hurt the Orioles because at the time BAL had the best scouting of anybody.

BTW, when exactly did signing bonuses come back? And why? I'm surprised the owners didn't nip that in the bud. (I know they tried to control it via slotting, but that requires that all the owners maintain discipline... same problem OPEC has.)

Yes, the original reason behind the draft was to stop themselves from paying fair value for amateur talent. But the excuse was always parity. The excuse wouldn't have even had a hint of truth if they hadn't screwed up the market share stuff to begin with.

Most non-American sports have neither territorial rights nor drafts.

There's a lot of great ideas in this thread.

1) hire the best marketing people you can find. Make baseball cool again.

2) get the message out better, that we are getting rid of steroids. Make sure the casual fan knows this. Too many casual fans say,"steroids killed it for me." Release a statement saying Hank Aaron is the real HR champ. Ban users indefinitely with a review of their case done each year. Terminate their contracts while allowing the team to retain their rights. If they're reinstated, have an arbitrator figure out what to pay them. I'm not that angry about the steroid issue, but a lot of people are. Overreact.

3) enforce the strike zone to at least 1980 level. If the umps won't change, fire them.

4) better revenue sharing. This has been covered well.

5) salary floor to be a minimum of revenue sharing income. No cap.

6) better promotions at the park. Bring a minor league atmosphere to the major leagues.

1)Shorten season to 142 games

2)ALLOW TRADING OF DRAFT PICKS

3)Salary Cap + Salary floor. $70m to $120m. Plus revenue sharing for the first 6-7 years so small market teams can catch up.

4)Enforce the strike zone. knee-caps to letters. 17inches across the plate.

Archived