Round 8 Selection: Devin Harris, LF, ECU

Thanks for posting these notes, Ty.

I saw Harris twice this year and noted he looked like he could be a Top 100 guy next year. I agree with Devin's father's suggestion that BAL will monitor his progress in the Cape before deciding to shell out the kind of money that would likely be necessary to buy him out of his junior year.

The double-edge, though, is that a monster season at the Cape could likewise drive up the asking price on Devin's side.

Thanks for posting these notes, Ty.

I saw Harris twice this year and noted he looked like he could be a Top 100 guy next year. I agree with Devin's father's suggestion that BAL will monitor his progress in the Cape before deciding to shell out the kind of money that would likely be necessary to buy him out of his junior year.

The double-edge, though, is that a monster season at the Cape could likewise drive up the asking price on Devin's side.

I imagine that's the risk the O's are willing to take for a better read on how advanced he/probability of success...no?

I imagine that's the risk the O's are willing to take for a better read on how advanced he/probability of success...no?

Sure, it doesn't hurt. Like I pointed out, a successful cape season makes him a much more appealing sign. Likewise, it likely raises his asking price.

For example, Grant Green came out of the Cape being touted as the likely top positional pick in the draft. If a team had the option to sign him in August, they would have had to pony-up Top 5 money. Let's say Harris is looking for Top 100 money now but ends up destroying the Cape, earning MVP honors. He could reasonably ask for late-1st round money.

Considering Green's junior year, would a team have a better idea of his probablity of success at the beginning of last summer, after the Cape or right now after his junior year? In that instance, a team would have been best off signing him now and the worst off signing him in August. He'll likely end up with a few million less than he expected to get coming into the season (or what he would have gotten last August). His talent isn't any different, and who knows if this extra time has clouded the view of Green by mixing in an enigmatic junior year, rather than a solid sophomore campaign and great Cape season. If he's really Cape Cod Green, then Oakland is thrilled to have a chance to draft him here, and our hypothetical 2008 drafting team would have been better off giving him a little more at the beginning of the summer rather than Top 5 money at the end of the summer.

Rambling, but just trying to flesh out possible outcomes. Do you root for Harris to have a good, great or "meh" Cape season? Lot's of potential tributaries breaking off of his "career river".

Just thought this was a strange coincidence, but here goes:

Not only does this guy have my exact name and share my same exact height, but we both went to ECU! How weird is that?

I guess you aren't aware of your split personality? I guess you also weren't aware you could transport yourself through time and space to be playing in the Cape Cod league this summer.

Perhaps once you are able to merge your personalities they can figure out how to hit a baseball?! :scratchchinhmm:

• 1 month later...
I found this 2 week old link it sounds like the O's were close back then with money but he was not sure what he wanted to do. I feel better about him signing after reading this but who knows. He seems like a bright kid.

http://www.kinston.com/articles/harris-57121-ailment-isn.html

Great article. This is the first interview I've heard from Harris since his eye problems at the Cape. His tune has changed quite a bit since his unsuccessful tour in that league. It now appears as if he'll sign.

Harris is toast per Baltimore Sun below:

"Devin Harris, an outfielder and the eighth-round pick out of East Carolina University, has informed the club that he'll remain in school and won't sign."

I read that too, I hope the O's continue to pursue and he changes his mind before 8/17.

He won't change his mind.

The Orioles should move on and work to sign some other lower picks to over slot deals.

Maybe they will, but like college kids in football and basketball declaring for the draft they often times change their mind at the last minute, I'm just saying they should continue pursuing the kid up until 8/17 when it becomes official.

Archived