Penn pitched tonight at Norfolk

bgfield

Unless there is some option issue or a health concern, I can't see why you wouldn't want him up when the rosters expand. I'd also expect them to try to get him some work out of the bullpen (and inning here or there). Only way he has success in the majors is by having success in the majors. Give him a shot. If he crumples, better they know it sooner.

Penn will get one more start in August, and Sept. 1 would be his natural second turn. I'd let him make those starts and if all goes well, he *has* to finish the season in Baltimore.

I'm really pulling for Hayden; let's hope the kid gets some good luck for a change.

I also would like to see him in Baltimore OD, at least as a reliever. We should have more than 5 guys competing for the rotation, let the spring decide the last couple spots. If he loses he can go in the pen, and can't do any worse than Shuey et al., and at least he's here and getting his feet wet against major leaguers, ready to step in when someone gets hurt.

And here's hoping he changes his name to Denton Pedro Koufaddux. Maybe then he'll have a shot to do well. ;)

Hayden will be in baltimore in sept. They want him to have at least 3 starts in Norfolk before being brought back up.
Excellent news, and a good decision by the team. Lets just hope he doesn't have any physical setbacks between then and now. And also hope that Trax is traded so Hayden can get some starts.

I'd like to get a look at Penn in September. As to next year, he should be given an opportunity to make the team (which he really didn't get this spring), but it should not be just handed to him. He needs to earn it.

If Penn pitches with the O's in September, then he will surely be out of options next year and will have to stick with the big league club or be exposed to waivers (which he would not clear). If Penn never makes it back to Baltimore, at least there's a chance that the team will be able to get MLB to grant him another option year based on his injuries.

From Wikipedia...

"Options

If a player is on the 40-man roster but not on the active major league roster, he is said to be on optional assignment—his organization may freely move him between the major league club and the minor league club. If a player is on the 40-man roster and not the active 25 man roster for any part of more than three seasons, he is out of options and may not be assigned to the minors without first clearing waivers. If a major league player is ineligible for free agency and "has options" remaining, his team may option him to a minor league team without consequence. This is usually what is meant when players are "sent down" to the minors. Likewise, when a player on the 40-man roster is added to the active major league roster, he is "called up" to the majors."

Penn was up/down in 2005, 2006, and started this season in AAA. By my count, that's three options right there. Next spring it's not about 'being given every opportunity to make the big league club'; he has to be on the major league club, or clear waivers to be able to be sent to the minors. And lets be honest, even with his scuffles in the minors, there's no way a 23-year old pitcher with his upside is getting through waivers. He'll be on the 25-man roster next year, or he'll be in someone else's system.

On a side note on options, props to Andy Mac and PA for signing Wieters to a minor league contract with a honkin' signing bonus, instead of a major league contract. We don't even have to think about Wieters and the 40 for three years...so we won't get forced into an Adam Loewen use it or lose it situation...

From Wikipedia...

"Options

If a player is on the 40-man roster but not on the active major league roster, he is said to be on optional assignment—his organization may freely move him between the major league club and the minor league club. If a player is on the 40-man roster and not the active 25 man roster for any part of more than three seasons, he is out of options and may not be assigned to the minors without first clearing waivers. If a major league player is ineligible for free agency and "has options" remaining, his team may option him to a minor league team without consequence. This is usually what is meant when players are "sent down" to the minors. Likewise, when a player on the 40-man roster is added to the active major league roster, he is "called up" to the majors."

Penn was up/down in 2005, 2006, and started this season in AAA. By my count, that's three options right there. Next spring it's not about 'being given every opportunity to make the big league club'; he has to be on the major league club, or clear waivers to be able to be sent to the minors. And lets be honest, even with his scuffles in the minors, there's no way a 23-year old pitcher with his upside is getting through waivers. He'll be on the 25-man roster next year, or he'll be in someone else's system.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1022996&postcount=31

The O's can petition MLB for another option because Penn's first season was spent entirely in short-season leagues.

What are the rehab rules? Are they different for minor leaguers? Because Penn returned on July 20th so the 30 days should be about up. I really doubt he gets that option year back if he continues to pitch anywhere, so it seems like shut him down or use the option. I vote use the option, give him a couple more starts at Norfolk and then bring him up to Baltimore.

What are the rehab rules? Are they different for minor leaguers? Because Penn returned on July 20th so the 30 days should be about up. I really doubt he gets that option year back if he continues to pitch anywhere, so it seems like shut him down or use the option. I vote use the option, give him a couple more starts at Norfolk and then bring him up to Baltimore.

Unless I'm mistaken, Penn is eligible for an extra option regardless of his injury status (see above). Either way, he should not be shut down - he needs the innings to get back in game shape.

Excellent news. I'd hope to stretch him out to 6 and then 7 innings and then call him up after the AAA season. 2 or 3 more starts at Norfolk and then he should be in Baltimore.

He'd only have time for 2 more, maybe the 26th and 31st, and call him up 9/1.

Archived