Just in case you didn't have an upset stomach this morning....

isestrex

No-Nonsense, All-Star

Teixeira Is Fitting In Just Fine With the Yankees

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/12/AR2009071201232.html

...In a city of big names, outsize personalities and demanding fans, Teixeira has fit in as a Yankee with a no-frills style and a nose-to-the-grindstone mentality.

"Tex, half the time you don't even know he's here," Jeter said. "He comes in, he does his work, goes out there, plays hard, comes back and does the same the next day. He's like a robot."

Teixeira came to New York with a flourish, rejecting the courtship of the Boston Red Sox, the Washington Nationals and others. Unbent by the weight of great expectations, Teixeira has been effective in New York's lineup and is nearly errorless at first base through the first half of the season. He edged out Boston's Kevin Youkilis for a starting spot in Tuesday's All-Star Game in St. Louis.

"I'm doing everything I can do," Teixeira said recently. "I feel good. I'm healthy. And I know I'm going to have a good second half of the season."

But not all of his contributions have commanded tabloid attention like that. Against the New York Mets on June 12, Teixeira sprinted out a routine fly ball with the Yankees down by two runs with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning. Then the ball was dropped, and Teixeira scored from first for an improbable 9-8 win.

It was a memorable moment for the Yankees this season, illustrating how a humble, hard-working player can make a huge impact in the big city.

:puke:

I'd like to know why this article greets me this morning in the Washington Post.

Archived