Where's Hobgood?

Frobby

He hasn't pitched since July 23, and he's not starting today. Is something going on? Will he throw in relief since he's only going a few innings at a time now anyway? Or is the team having him back off for some reason?

So much for signing early to get that work in. This just reinforces my opinion that this was definitely a signability pick. Hobgood will not have any measurable amount of time over the deadline signees.

I'm not offering this to debate whether or not this was a signability pick. But when he's not getting into games he has more time for side work with Troy Mattes (pitching coach).

EDIT:

I doubt he's just sitting around doing nothing. Good chance that he's having side sessions and working on lots of different things. Some things are immeasurable. Just because you don't see the innings doesn't mean he isn't making progress and getting invaluable experience.

What he said.

So much for signing early to get that work in. This just reinforces my opinion that this was definitely a signability pick. Hobgood will not have any measurable amount of time over the deadline signees.

I love people who beat a dead horse over and over again. This has nothing to do with signing him early. It's how they've decided to pace his in game work vs. side sessions and bullpens with the pitching coach to work on specific details. You can't do that as well in games, so with developmental players just entering the pros, who were in spring training or extended spring training, you give them more work on the side. Pretending it's a big deal doesn't make it one.

Note: I should have read the whole thread before posting. Others have made the same point quite well.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish he'd pick it up, but I do get riled by those blaming his early difficulties on the idea that he was a signability pick.

As I said somewhere else this morning, he was still expected to be a first round pick, albeit a later one. Someone with his pedigree should still retire hitters in the Appy.

I'm guessing it's just a slump (or perhaps he's experimenting a bit) and will wait to see his 2010 performance.

Where is Hobgood starting 2010?

There isnt going to be a good answer until next spring. I would assume the Orioles hope they can promote him to Single-A Delmarva to be a part of a full season team but if he doesnt impress in instructional league and spring training he could find himself sitting out the first few months and playing at Aberdeen. Delmarva is the best bet.

They put Avery and Hoes in Delmarva after wicked rookie ball seasons, but Hobgood hasn't shown much in Bluefield, I would expect Aberdeen to begin the season. Delmarva seems like an undeserved and unecessary promotion at this point.

We wont know until he shows up for spring training. If he looks remarkable then I guess we can risk him at Delmarva. If he looks way overmatched he can go back to extended springtraining. Then on to Aberdeen when it opens.

I wish he'd pick it up, but I do get riled by those blaming his early difficulties on the idea that he was a signability pick.

As I said somewhere else this morning, he was still expected to be a first round pick, albeit a later one. Someone with his pedigree should still retire hitters in the Appy.

I'm guessing it's just a slump (or perhaps he's experimenting a bit) and will wait to see his 2010 performance.

If you are including me in the assessment, I certainly don't resemble that comparison. I have never "blamed signability as the reason for his supposed "difficulties". Like you said, he could be experimenting, or working on pitches, his command and/or those really may not be hits just poor defense.

In this particular thread, I questioned why he had not been in games earlier (many stated after that comment that he was working in side sessions and bull pens due to it being easier than in game situations). That was a fair enough explanation. This also leads to making a good assumption that there are some issues with Hobgood's pitching and thus, he is now working on these in game situations. As long as his stuff is not regressing and he is taking to instruction, I lean towards taking his stats so far with a grain of salt.

Going to Aberdeen isn't a bad thing to happen - after all Britton did (yeah, he was about four or five months younger). Erbe went straight to DelMarva, and was also stellar there at age 18. He didn't get talked about being a bust until age 19 at Frederick. Seems that some are being disappointed with Hobgood a lot earlier.:)

I still believe that he was a signability pick - that doesn't mean that he has bust written all over him, only that there were better picks at #5 but, they were not willing to sign for under slot like Hobgood and Sanchez were. Still, for the most part, I like this draft, a high reward with lots of talent (albeit with high risk) and lots of over slot deals.

Archived