Where's Hobgood?

Frobby

I think $1Million(approx) bonuses to Coffey and Ohlman prove the O's are willing to spend in the draft, and would put to bed the signability complainers.

If you want to say they wanted a "signable" kid so they could then give $1M to those two as well, I have no problems with that strategy. I'd rather have those 3 players than one Tyler Matzek.

I think $1Million(approx) bonuses to Coffey and Ohlman prove the O's are willing to spend in the draft, and would put to bed the signability complainers.

If you want to say they wanted a "signable" kid so they could then give $1M to those two as well, I have no problems with that strategy. I'd rather have those 3 players than one Tyler Matzek.

The Orioles should have been able to spend $15-$20 million in the draft with their low payroll this year. They could have afforded Matzek and signed all those other guys IMO if they wanted to spend the money.

Money should have never been a factor because of the money that hasn't been spent this year on the ML team.

I sure hope Hobgood doesn't turn out to be Hobbad:( Perhaps we can get more details from someone who watched him pitch?

For what it is worth I just spent a couple weeks watching the Bluefield team and taking in the sites.

Just from seeing Hobgood pitch in two games and several bullpens. It looks to me like and from what little I overheard. He is trying to learn the art of making batters hit out by adding sink to his fb and when he keeps it down it looks good. He threw a lot of balls up, really up, therefore I didn't think he had the feel for it yet and was getting some slip.

The power curve he was used to throw for a strike he is having trouble getting it over the plate, probably from working on his fb so much.

Again for what its worth I think what everyone is seeing in the numbers is simply power pitchers learning a new part of their craft and it will take a while to get the feel for it. The otherthing I noticed is that they only want three or four pitches to each batter so when they throw a ball everyone, the batter, the people in the stands everyone knows the next pitch is going to be a strike, and it usually gets grooved, see ya.

Its gotta be a hard thing on a young mans mind they know they need to keep their numbers respectable and yet they know they need to learn at the same time and the only way to do that is to throw to live batters. If it works great if it doesn't dang, now you have to wait 7 days to see if your any good or not.

This is so absurd; Hobgood's performance in Aberdeen at age 18 has virtually no lasting effects on his career.

It's great that he signed so early and has taken his lumps a year ahead of other guys.

We know for a fact, from various sources, that Hobgood has been experimenting extensively.

The Orioles should have been able to spend $15-$20 million in the draft with their low payroll this year. They could have afforded Matzek and signed all those other guys IMO if they wanted to spend the money.

Money should have never been a factor because of the money that hasn't been spent this year on the ML team.

Oh, first you said they should have spent $10 million on the draft this year but after you saw that they spent $9.9 mil, you decide they should spend $15-$20? I'm just going to go with the fact that they will never satisfy you.

For what it is worth I just spent a couple weeks watching the Bluefield team and taking in the sites.

Just from seeing Hobgood pitch in two games and several bullpens. It looks to me like and from what little I overheard. He is trying to learn the art of making batters hit out by adding sink to his fb and when he keeps it down it looks good. He threw a lot of balls up, really up, therefore I didn't think he had the feel for it yet and was getting some slip.

The power curve he was used to throw for a strike he is having trouble getting it over the plate, probably from working on his fb so much.

Again for what its worth I think what everyone is seeing in the numbers is simply power pitchers learning a new part of their craft and it will take a while to get the feel for it. The otherthing I noticed is that they only want three or four pitches to each batter so when they throw a ball everyone, the batter, the people in the stands everyone knows the next pitch is going to be a strike, and it usually gets grooved, see ya.

Its gotta be a hard thing on a young mans mind they know they need to keep their numbers respectable and yet they know they need to learn at the same time and the only way to do that is to throw to live batters. If it works great if it doesn't dang, now you have to wait 7 days to see if your any good or not.

One of things I heard was that the month off he took really put him behind so he's basically in spring training shape when most of these guys are in late summmer shape.

We'll see of course, while the early indications are not overly impressive, I really don't put too much stock in these first year numbers either way. I prefer to give them an instructional League, off season workout, and spring training before starting to really look at the numbers.

:rolleyes:

Guest Sailor Jerry

Remember when Bryan Bass totally dominated his first year of pro ball? That first year is CLEARLY a sign of things to come.

• 7 years later...
He's going to try hitting.

In other news he's also getting his EMT certification.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/11/hobgood-taking-a-shot-at-hitting.html

I enjoyed the interview. Hobgood seemed likable and pretty realistic about the future. I had forgotten that his dad died when he was a teenager. I wish him the best and I hope he saved his signing bonus.

He's going to try hitting.

In other news he's also getting his EMT certification.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/11/hobgood-taking-a-shot-at-hitting.html

From the article:

It wouldn’t hurt to remind them that Hobgood led the nation in home runs with 21 before the Orioles drafted him.

I hope he makes it up for at least a cup of coffee in Baltimore. That'd probably mean a lot to him. Best of luck.

From the article:

I hope he makes it up for at least a cup of coffee in Baltimore. That'd probably mean a lot to him. Best of luck.

You have a much chance of playing with the Orioles as Hobgood. I'll root for the guy because he was a good guy and loves baseball, but he was a not prospect with the bat in HS so despite some raw power, I can't see that happening now that he's 26.

I wish him well though. Good to see he's being somewhat realistic by going for his EMT. Good for him.

Archived