Bunt!!!

SweetbabyJ

My main problem here is that there is some expectation that a team getting no hit shouldn't give 100% and use all weapons available just so that the opposing pitcher has a better shot at getting a no-hitter. Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

We have to just disagree on this one. When I am watching a no-hit game and Aubrey Huff comes up in the 9th and lays down a bunt to get the only hit of the game it bothers me.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wasn't talking about Red Sox fans. Im talking about you and me. If Liz was throwing a no-hitter in the 9th inning of a 10-0 game, and Crisp or Pedroia dropped a bunt to break it up, I guarantee that the hangout would absolutely explode with hatred towards anything Red Sox.

True, but in this case we are Oriole fans and we would be happy that Roberts or Patterson took advantage of the situation and avoided the no-hitter. I hope you would be happy that we weren't no-hit. Let the Red Sox fans get angry. I could care less how they feel, for I am an Orioles fan and don't give a hoot about the other teams fans as should any Orioles fan.

True, but in this case we are Oriole fans and we would be happy that Roberts or Patterson took advantage of the situation and avoided the no-hitter. I hope you would be happy that we weren't no-hit. Let the Red Sox fans get angry. I could care less how they feel, for I am an Orioles fan and don't give a hoot about the other teams fans as should any Orioles fan.

I wouldn't. I'd think it was bush and cheap, and I'd lose respect for Roberts or Patterson for doing it.

We have to just disagree on this one. When I am watching a no-hit game and Aubrey Huff comes up in the 9th and lays down a bunt to get the only hit of the game it bothers me.

But it wasn't Huff that had the opportunity, it was Brian Roberts and Corey Patterson, two guys that know how to bunt and the latter bunting for singles all the time.

I wouldn't. I'd think it was bush and cheap, and I'd lose respect for Roberts or Patterson for doing it.

Well you are a fan of baseball more than a fan of the Orioles. I'd rather see the O's break up the no-hitter vs. follow some unwritten rule.

Well you are a fan of baseball more than a fan of the Orioles. I'd rather see the O's break up the no-hitter vs. follow some unwritten rule.

Kindly refrain from telling me what I am, please. I am a fan of both.

And, I don't want to see our players targeted for retribution from multiple teams because they acted without class.

And, I don't want to see our players targeted for retribution from multiple teams because they acted without class.

So you think the Yankees or Blue Jays would throw at Roberts or Patterson because they broke up a no-hitter by a Red Sox rookie with a bunt single? Please... :rolleyes:

I played baseball for years, and have followed the O's since I was 7 years old. There is absolutely no way that I would be happy about an Oriole breaking up a no-hitter in the 9th inning of a 10-0 game. As I said, if it were Pedroia breaking up a no-no for Liz in the same situation, you would be absolutely furious, and I would guess you might even post for the other side of this argument

If the score was 2-0, and getting on base meant bringing the tie run to the plate, by all means, Patterson or Roberts should bunt. But in a 10-0 game simply to break up the no-hitter? Sorry, that just appears shallow and desperate.

But it wasn't Huff that had the opportunity, it was Brian Roberts and Corey Patterson, two guys that know how to bunt and the latter bunting for singles all the time.

True, but if you read back I had a reason for giving Huff as my example. Still, I could see Patterson trying to bunt for a base-hit and I guarantee that it was on the Red Sox mind as well so I see your point.

Patterson hasn't bunted near enough this year.

So you think the Yankees or Blue Jays would throw at Roberts or Patterson because they broke up a no-hitter by a Red Sox rookie with a bunt single? Please... :rolleyes:

It's possible. I know the Red Sox would. And that's the sort of thing you don't forget about once a person has been hit once. That's the kind of thing that creates a very long term bad blood rivalry that's just freakin' pointless. All because one player decided to act without any class.

It's possible. I know the Red Sox would. And that's the sort of thing you don't forget about once a person has been hit once. That's the kind of thing that creates a very long term bad blood rivalry that's just freakin' pointless. All because one player decided to act without any class.

Considering we have no rivalry with the Sox now, I'd say that would be an improvement. We just lay down for them it seems at every opportunity, we let them invade our stadium, take over the city and no-hit our team without a fight. So no, it's not just about the no-hitter it's about laying down for the Sox in general. Our fans do it and our team does it and I am sick of it!

And how is bunting classless when you do it all the time? You are desperate to get a hit in that situation and a bunt is in your arsenal. How is it classless to use it?

Considering we have no rivalry with the Sox now, I'd say that would be an improvement. We just lay down for them it seems at every opportunity, we let them invade our stadium, take over the city and no-hit our team without a fight. So no, it's not just about the no-hitter it's about laying down for the Sox in general. Our fans do it and our team does it and I am sick of it!

So, instead of doing it the right way, you'd want us to become the bad boys of baseball, the pariahs, the assholes who will do anything to screw with another team, even if it doesn't help us win games?

Great outlook.

Archived