Melvin ready to be SuperSub

wildcard

I find that very hard to believe. Mora lost lots of money.

Pride is a funny, funny thing. I would just prefer that they say nothing rather than lie. Sometimes the sportswriter leads them into those stupid statements.

The Rockies might be hoping Mora brings versatility as a super-sub, but I'm more than a little skeptical that is the case. As I've noted before, Mora's played a grand total of five innings since 2004 at a position that wasn't 3rd base or DH, one inning at short in '04, three at 2nd base in '06, and one at short in '08. He hasn't been a super-sub in several years, and his range in the field has been in decline for the last several seasons, and that was just at 3rd. If his range has been declining there I'm not beeming with confidence over how he'll do at short, 2nd, or the outfield.

Now, I'm not saying Mora can't do it, or even be passable, at least from an offensive stand point. I believe he could put up a .700 OPS off the bench. But in the field, I'm not as confident.

The Rockies might be hoping Mora brings versatility as a super-sub, but I'm more than a little skeptical that is the case. As I've noted before, Mora's played a grand total of five innings since 2004 at a position that wasn't 3rd base or DH, one inning at short in '04, three at 2nd base in '06, and one at short in '08. He hasn't been a super-sub in several years, and his range in the field has been in decline for the last several seasons, and that was just at 3rd. If his range has been declining there I'm not beeming with confidence over how he'll do at short, 2nd, or the outfield.

Now, I'm not saying Mora can't do it, or even be passable, at least from an offensive stand point. I believe he could put up a .700 OPS off the bench. But in the field, I'm not as confident.

I wasn't a Mora fan during his last couple of years in Baltimore, but he was always a great athlete. I actually like his chances of playing several positions competently better than the possibility that he will put up even a .700 OPS. I think the bat is finished.

With a spring of practice I would think Melvin could backup 3B, 2B, LF and RF.

Melvin could probably play late inning defense at 1B when Helton is out and Giambi starts.

He doesn't have the speed or the range for CF or SS anymore.

I think Melvin can be a valuable backup if he want to.

Archived