Hitter or Pitcher: Which are we more likely to take in the first round?

Not a scout but based on every source I can find I have to agree, it's pitching all the way. Question is... Will it be a high school arm or college?

Remember regardless of you want, the team can only protect 40 players. So there is an increased chance that surplus arms are traded for need.

There are a lot more arms at the top of the class, so I'd say the odds are in favor of pitching.

Unless Harper slips or Machado rockets into the top 5, the pitching is way stronger than the hiiting. Tallion would look very good in an O's uniform.

Unless Harper slips or Machado rockets into the top 5, the pitching is way stronger than the hiiting. Tallion would look very good in an O's uniform.

Just curious, why do you limit the positional prospects to Harper/Machado? I know BA absolutely loves Machado, but in my opinion I don't see someone that, right now, is far and away the best prep positonal player.

Just curious, why do you limit the positional prospects to Harper/Machado? I know BA absolutely loves Machado, but in my opinion I don't see someone that, right now, is far and away the best prep positonal player.

Because everything I've read on the draft so far (including your great stuff on pnr) says that the pitching prospects are better and deeper than the position prospects other than Harper. I put Machado on that list too, because he is a fast rising short stop and that is a position of need for us, so if we were to reach we'd probably reach for a position we need help at.

Early in the year the college pitchers Ranaudo, McGuire, Pommerantz, etc were the top college pitchers and then Tallion, Cole, Whitson for the HS arms. All of them were rated above all of the position prospects and guys like Christian Colon have gotton off to slow starts.

Because everything I've read on the draft so far (including your great stuff on pnr) says that the pitching prospects are better and deeper than the position prospects other than Harper. I put Machado on that list too, because he is a fast rising short stop and that is a position of need for us, so if we were to reach we'd probably reach for a position we need help at.

Early in the year the college pitchers Ranaudo, McGuire, Pommerantz, etc were the top college pitchers and then Tallion, Cole, Whitson for the HS arms. All of them were rated above all of the position prospects and guys like Christian Colon have gotton off to slow starts.

Got it. It should be a much clearer picture in two months. Colon has looked better and is still controlling the strikezone very well, even if the hits aren't falling.

If Taillon is taken by the time we pick, I suspect we'll go with a polished college guy- McGuire.

This is the thing with McGuire, I don't see him as THAT polished. As a matter of fact, of the top arms, he is IMO one of the least polished. Pomeranz and Sale are both more polished, and you could possibly make an argument for Ranaudo being a bit more polished, but compared to the prep arms, I guess then you could say that McGuire is polished.....A lot has to do with the fact that his composure is in question, and to me a "polished" arm shouldn't have problems with keeping your composure on the mound, thats all part of it.....

From where we are right now, Castellanos is one to watch, as is Josh Sale, Cabrera, Machado, Brentz and Colon. Also Zach Cox is a big name and even Austin WIlson looks like he is seeing some helium, but from the looks of it, the pitching is by far going to be the best choice unless someone really steps it up or Harper falls. If Taillon is available at 1:3, I see no reason to think about taking anyone else other than Harper....

Archived