I don't know, but I was rooting for UCLA to win, just so that he wouldn't feel that he had unfinished business.

Going into the rotation would be a risk with a nice payoff if he stays healthy and effective. Signing with the O's would eliminate some of that risk -- he'd bank the bonus before he makes the switch.

You can pretty much bet your bank on it, he's signing with us. If JJ picked him this high, he knows he can sign him, especially w/o the 2nd round pick.....

You can pretty much bet your bank on it, he's signing with us. If JJ picked him this high, he knows he can sign him, especially w/o the 2nd round pick.....

He looked like a legit 2nd rounder tonight, and I imagine that he'll want to be paid like a high 2nd rounder. And he has the leverage to get it.

Just because they want to try him as a starter doesn't mean he'll stay there. Berken, Hernandez, Simon, Uehara, Johnson... our best bullpen guys were all former starters.

I absolutely agree. It isn't the end of the world either way. The question simply becomes whether there is any substantive difference (assuming he ends-up in the pen) between:

Path 1 (Pen)

2010 - Aberdeen

2011 - HiA/AA

2012 - AA/AAA

2013 - ML

or

Path 2 (Rotation)

2010 - Aberdeen

2011 - HiA

2012 - AA

2013 - AA/AAA

2014 - (to pen) AAA/ML

2015 - ML

Just rough estimates, but I think probably close to what you are looking at for estimated arrival. I assume he's on the Berry path if he's rotation bound, which looks like a year in HiA with the kids gloves. AA to finish getting his innings up. AA/AAA depending on potential injury/struggles that would cause the shift back to the pen. Then starting AAA in the pen before 2nd half call-up and then first full season in the Bigs. Again, this scenario is based on the assumption that he ends-up in the pen only. Maybe he steps through one level at a time as a starter and is ready for the Orioles in spring 2014.

Trying him as a starter gets him more innings to work on things. It's a no-brainer really.

A guy like Chris Ray screamed 'bullpen' from day 1, but they tried him as a starter. Why not? Zaggone is another guy having some success who looked like a bullpen guy when drafted. He probably ends up in the pen. Let them start until they prove they can't do it.

Let's not.

I just talked about Lindblom in the Dodgers organization. When he was drafted, he was tabbed a reliever but it appears the Dodgers are trying him as a starter and its not working.

Now, I am not sure how similar these 2 guys are but we are talking about a likely project with Klein if you want him to start..which the Orioles appear like they want him to do.

Daniel Moskos, the guy taken before Wieters, was the same way. Lights out reliever in college. They tried to make him a starter and it failed. Now he is back to being a reliever and has been dominate.

Daniel Moskos, the guy taken before Wieters, was the same way. Lights out reliever in college. They tried to make him a starter and it failed. Now he is back to being a reliever and has been dominate.

I hope Moskos has some success. I talked to him a couple times last year, good kid, and he was never horrible as a starter, I don't know if he looked completely comfortable though.

Archived