How did this budget compare to last years 8.0 (8.8) million budget? At first glance it appears that the O's did not increase the budget much if it all.

I have Machado as the only drafted player the O's gave more then $650k to. That is a rather sharp contrast to last season.

I was hoping that the O's would separate first round money from the rest of the draft but it seems they are unwilling to do so, Machado cost more then Hobgood so there was less spending in the lower rounds, despite lacking a second round pick this draft.

I like who they signed I just wish they would have signed a few more of the overslot kids this year.

Rould 1, SS Manny Machado: $5,250,000

Round 3, RHP Dan Klein: $499,900

Round 4, OF Trent Mummey: $252,000

Round 5, IF Conner Narron: $650,000

Round 7: Matt Bywater: $195,000

Round 8, C Wynston Sawyer: $300,000

Round 9, RHP Parker Bridwell: $625,000

Round 10, RHP Clay Schrader: $300,000

Round 28, RHP Jaime Esquivel: $225,000

Before factoring in everyone else's regular price, we spent $8,296,900.

Not to be a debbie downer, but Boston spent $10.4M on their picks from the first 11 rounds.

Not a downer for me.

They had 13 picks and signed 12 of them, so they averaged $840K per signing - we had 10 picks and signed 8, so we averaged over $1.0M per.

So I would say it's a push in terms of spending given the hand we were dealt - no second round pick and no extra picks because of free agency.

Do I think they have a better draft? Sure, they had #20 and two supplemental firsts - plus they had their second while we lost ours. So they got 4 picks in the first two rounds and we got one. I think that is why their draft is better not because of the money they spent compared to us.

Not a downer for me.

They had 13 picks and signed 12 of them, so they averaged $840K per signing - we had 10 picks and signed 8, so we averaged over $1.0M per.

So I would say it's a push in terms of spending given the hand we were dealt - no second round pick and no extra picks because of free agency.

Do I think they have a better draft? Sure, they had #20 and two supplemental firsts - plus they had their second while we lost ours. So they got 4 picks in the first two rounds and we got one. I think that is why their draft is better not because of the money they spent compared to us.

Its both. They had the extra picks, but they also spent big to get most of those guys signed.

If we are only matching or even trailing Boston and New York in terms of draft and international spending, then we'll have to be better than them at scouting and developing to be able to compete with them. Does anyone think we're better at scouting and developing than Boston? New York?

I'm happy we've stepped up our draft spending over the last 4 seasons, but we need to do more in both the draft and internationally to catch up and hopefully pass our competition.

Archived