Where does Rosa fit in next year?

Crazysilver03

Yea I can understand that. Didnt Roberts move because he didnt have the arm to play short? Who was the prospect at the time who booted him over (I cant remember and am just curious)

Once Roberts had the shoulder issues it pretty much sapped his marginal shortstop arm. so yes, he was moved because he no longer had the arm to play SS on a regular basis.

Look for Miclat to make the same transition.

Does Givens have the bat to even play 3B, is it to late to move him to pitcher. I don't like being negative but I don't think Givens will turn into much of a prospect.
That's a good question. Not sure what the Orioles plan to do now that they have Machado. It'll be an interesting decision for John Stockstill and his crew. With Machado and Schoop, you have to wonder if converting Givens back to the mound might not be the best idea.

What gives with Givens, as a draft pick? He was picked for short, but he doesn't have the glove for short or the bat for third, and doesn't (according to another thread) have the secondaries to complement his 90+ fastball? ... so what was the rationale behind this top pick?

Who has determined that he doesn't have the glove for SS? Who has determined that he doesn't have the bat for 3B? He was picked because he showed the potential to play SS and some potential for a good bat with some power. Have we already decided that he isn't capable of developing in either area based on 10 or 15 minor league games?

Just to be clear, that's not my assessment (since I don't know) but a question, since I get the drift from others including Tony, that Givens is not a primary prospect long-term at any of those positions (SS, 3B, RP). But I'd be happy to be set straight on the matter...

Just to be clear, that's not my assessment (since I don't know) but a question, since I get the drift from others including Tony, that Givens is not a primary prospect long-term at any of those positions (SS, 3B, RP). But I'd be happy to be set straight on the matter...

I just think the situation has changed. He was a toolsy pick, like Avery, with a decent chance to stick at SS. But now he wasted 2009 negotiating his deal, lost 2010 to injury, and when the O's had the number 3 pick this year the obvious choice (according to BA and consensus of many scouts) was a SS. If the Pirates had taken Machado we'd still be talking about Givens as our top SS prospect. That's the way the cookie crumbles, but this does illustrate the advantage of getting on the field early, as Avery did. I think Avrery is 4-5 months older than Givens, but now he has more at bats in AA than Givens has in low A. He's 2+ years ahead of Givens at essentially the same age. Hoes is also essentially 2 years ahead at the same age. Obviously Givens can't control the ligament injury he suffered this year, but he really hurt himself by not getting on the field in 2009 IMO.

I don't see how Rosa gets promoted. Maybe he becomes a backup infielder? Not ideal for a young guy, but he hasn't earned the right to play every day.

I tend to agree with this, but sometimes guys with poor plate discipline hit better at higher levels since he pitchers are around the plate more. Right now, I'm not sure who would play SS at Frederick next year if they don't promote him. Even though he makes a lot of errors, he really does have some major league SS skills.

It's either Rosa or Givens in my mind, and I don't know how you move Givens to High-A after missing so much time this year. I guess Machado could be there but that seems unfair to put a first year high school player in High-A.

What gives with Givens, as a draft pick? He was picked for short, but he doesn't have the glove for short or the bat for third, and doesn't (according to another thread) have the secondaries to complement his 90+ fastball? ... so what was the rationale behind this top pick?

Givens is an interesting player because he's missed so much time and before that there were question over where he would be able to play. A few people I've talked with who saw him in the instructional league and this spring think he has the arm actions to play SS. They also questioned his foot quickness. That suggests he'll need to move, possibly to 3B.

As for his bat, who knows, but it never projected to be a big time power guy, but more of a 15-20 homer guy. As for pitching, I guess anyone who can ring it up to 96-97 MPH has a shot, but when you move an arm like that to a positional player I guess the assumption is there were concerns.

He's an unknown right now due to all the time he's missed, but he's an unknown that they gave $800K to so he's going to get a chance to play everyday somewhere next year. I beleive there's some potential in there with the bat, but let's see how he does when he can get a full healthy season under his belt.

In terms of Givens, why not put him at 2nd with Machado at SS? It's great that he has an arm for 3B, but he needs more than that.

It's nice to have some competition at any rate.

I think they'll move Schoop to second. Givens' arm would be wasted at 2B and he may not have the foot quickness for the position. One other thought is to convert him to the OF ala Adam Jones.

Archived