Props for Joe Jordan

From ESPN chat

Jay (Baltimore)

Speaking of the draft, have the Orioles cost themselves a top prospect after their recent winning ways?

Jerry Crasnick (12:58 PM)

Jay, I wouldn't worry about that. This isn't the NFL, where the difference between the No. 1 and No. 3 picks might be huge. It's supposed to be a very strong draft, and Joe Jordan is a great scouting director. The O's should do fine. chat today.

The issue I have with this 'the Orioles will still get a good player in the first round', is that the O's will be picking behind so many teams in each round. I would rather that they were picking first or second in each round so that they would have a choice of better players. Jordan has already said the O's will not sign as many draft picks as they have in each of the last two years, so it's imperative that they draft a few good players and not take so many chances with their over-slot picks.

The issue I have with this 'the Orioles will still get a good player in the first round', is that the O's will be picking behind so many teams in each round. I would rather that they were picking first or second in each round so that they would have a choice of better players. Jordan has already said the O's will not sign as many draft picks as they have in each of the last two years, so it's imperative that they draft a few good players and not take so many chances with their over-slot picks.

Once the supplementary first round is over, you are always "picking behind many teams." But it doesn't make much difference. Even in the second round, the difference between pick #41 on the board and pick #46, is pretty slight. And when you get into the later picks, the difference between #71 and #76, or between #101 and #106, is basically indiscernible.

Differences in budget and in the acuity of the scouting departments are far more significant. Teams that know how to pick 'em, and that are willing to spread around some cash, will usually do well regardless of starting position.

Here's a way to draw a JTrea-esque positive:

We're playing so well now that we might not just miss out on Rendon, we'll also potentially miss out on the three top arms and have to "settle" for another high potential bat.

Based on the fact that in the top 10 right now, you may have 2 position players, the rest are pitchers. I am pretty confident we take BPA and right now BPA isn't BPA in June of 11. But, I will say that my money is on us drafting a pitcher, college or HS, I dunno.

Based on the fact that in the top 10 right now, you may have 2 position players, the rest are pitchers. I am pretty confident we take BPA and right now BPA isn't BPA in June of 11. But, I will say that my money is on us drafting a pitcher, college or HS, I dunno.

So you're saying there's another top 10 bat? :mwahaha:

What two would you have? Machado and Avery?

I would think Hoes, Schoop, and Givens all end up in the Top 10, with Townsend, Mahoney, and Adams also having a chance.

Right now with so many teams at the bottom close to each other we have a chance to end up from anywhere between the 2nd pick to the 7th. We still play our last 10 games against good teams. 3 with TOR, then 3 in TB, and end it with a 4 game series versus DET. Its going to be tough. Id be happy if we went 5-5 from here on out.

Archived