Poll: Your Sabermetric Background

DrungoHazewood

Which have/do you read?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Which have/do you read?

• Bill James' original yearly Abstracts (any)
    • Bill James' Historical Baseball Abstract (either one)
    • Baseball Prospectus, book or online
    • The Hardball Times web site
    • Rob Neyer's regular column on ESPN
    • SABR Publications like The Baseball Research Journal
    • Baseball Think Factory.com
    • The Hidden Game of Baseball by Thorn and Palmer
    • None - not interested or haven't gotten around to anything like this.
    • Other - and with only 10 poll options this may be checked by a majority! Please explain, list, etc.

It struck me that I don't know a whole lot about the background of everyone here. I've been reading Bill James' Baseball Abstracts and other books since I was a teenager, and I've read almost everything I can get my hands on in the same genre ever since. I think sometimes I approach posts and articles I'm writing with the assumption that most of my audience has some idea what I'm talking about. But I don't really know that.

In the poll, please check off each source that you've read a significant part of (or for the online stuff and/or periodicals read often).

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Fielding Bible is the only sabermetrics type of book I've read, and I haven't subscribed to any of the online sports services. I read Baseball Prospectus and The Hardball Times occasionally, usually when someone has linked to a story there, but sometimes when I'm researching data for a post. I occasionally read Neyer too, but not all that often.

Voted other but I guess Moneyball isn't considered a sabermetric book. It certainly has gotten me interested in sabermetrics. Guess it's more of a entry level beginner book to the whole deal. Which of the books listed above should I tackle next? Go easy on me...

Voted other but I guess Moneyball isn't considered a sabermetric book. It certainly has gotten me interested in sabermetrics. Guess it's more of a entry level beginner book to the whole deal. Which of the books listed above should I tackle next? Go easy on me...

ALL OF THEM RIGHT NOW THIS SECOND NOW TODAY NOW ;)

I forgot to check "other", but I also grew up reading the annual Elias Baseball Analyst books in the 1980's.

I has the Elias Analysts in the poll to begin with, but I ran out of options.

That's one I've never really read, mainly because I randomly picked James' book at the mall when I was 15 or 16. He never shied away from blasting Elias because he said they hid many of their methods, charged for data he was trying to make publicly available, and stole his ideas without acknowledging he was alive. So I became a James disciple, and loyally shunned Elias. I probably shouldn't have been like that, but sometimes teenagers like to think they're fighting The Man.

I know Jim Palmer always used to talk about reading the Elias books.

One thing I'd like to know is: How many of my fellow posters are members of SABR? (I am)

Since I picked up an application in the HOF library in 1989, and mailed it in with a check. (I think I let my membership lapse once or twice when I was in college, but more-or-less since then.)

I think that James' Historical Baseball Abstract is the #1 baseball book ever, hands-down. It's informed by sabermetrics and numbers, but it's mostly page after page of amazing historical stories, and research, and trivia. I probably learned more from the original edition than from the next 10 sources put together.

I think that James' Historical Baseball Abstract is the #1 baseball book ever, hands-down. It's informed by sabermetrics and numbers, but it's mostly page after page of amazing historical stories, and research, and trivia. I probably learned more from the original edition than from the next 10 sources put together.

Thanks, sounds good! The stories and trivia backing the statistical data will keep me engaged I'm sure. It's at Amazon for less than $20, so that works.

Archived