Matusz

Bird Dog

People really think Buck wants him facing guys like Pedroia and Napoli in that park? The pens issues are forcing Buck to use him in spots they normally would not.

TO be fair, it was more of an umpire issue tonight. If Ubaldo goes 6, Matusz faces Ortiz and nobody else, and we are not having this conversation.

People really think Buck wants him facing guys like Pedroia and Napoli in that park? The pens issues are forcing Buck to use him in spots they normally would not.

You forgot Ramirez. He's a relief pitcher, a former starter and wasn't paid 3.25 mil to be a LOOGY. Lots of people have been defending Matusz as a successful reliever and spouting his stats and success, mostly out of context imo. He should be able to get RH hitters out with some level of reasonable success. Don't care who they are. They spent a lot of time and effort working with him this spring for him to be able to do that. Did he inspire any confidence tonight that he had that ability? None. He looked horrible.

You forgot Ramirez. He's a relief pitcher, a former starter and wasn't paid 3.25 mil to be a LOOGY. Lots of people have been defending Matusz as a successful reliever and spouting his stats and success, mostly out of context imo. He should be able to get RH hitters out with some level of reasonable success. Don't care who they are. They spent a lot of time and effort working with him this spring for him to be able to do that. Did he inspire any confidence tonight that he had that ability? None. He looked horrible.

He should bs used to get lefties out and Buck should pick his spots vs righties. How many righties in big spots did Matusz get out last year?

We can argue forever about what he should be able to do. You think Buck wants him facing guys like he faced tonight? Sure he should have pitched better buy I just accept who he is.

He should bs used to get lefties out and Buck should pick his spots vs righties. How many righties in big spots did Matusz get out last year?

We can argue forever about what he should be able to do. You think Buck wants him facing guys like he faced tonight? Sure he should have pitched better buy I just accept who he is.

I don't disagree Eddie.

My point (and concern) is they are expecting and relying on him to do more this year than his normal little niche thing. A lot of effort was placed in this in ST. So, yes. I think Buck is testing him.

I don't disagree Eddie.

My point (and concern) is they are expecting and relying on him to do more this year than his normal little niche thing. A lot of effort was placed in this in ST. So, yes. I think Buck is testing him.

I think Buck is short on options. I think as usual they say all the right things in the spring. I hope I am wrong but I don't see Matusz getting to a point where we trust him vs quality righties. I really hope they aren't banking on him.

TO be fair, it was more of an umpire issue tonight. If Ubaldo goes 6, Matusz faces Ortiz and nobody else, and we are not having this conversation.

Agree with this. I would add also if Gausman could have come in and given a strong 3 innings or so then I think he wouldn't have been overexposed. Here's my take, Matusz is no Andrew Miller, but when used correctly (lefties and maybe an occasional 8 or 9 hole rightie) he has some good value. Led the team in ERA the 2nd half last year (albeit, SSS, but that's half the point).

That's part of the problem. We have a guy, who can't be optioned, who's only strength is to get one batter at a time. It puts a lot of pressure on the management when you have that and a rule V pick. There are going to be games where the starter unexpectedly leaves early by ejection, injury, rain delay, ineffectiveness. Carrying a LOOGY is luxury they can't afford, IMO. It's passed time we move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's part of the problem. We have a guy, who can't be optioned, who's only strength is to get one batter at a time. It puts a lot of pressure on the management when you have that and a rule V pick. There are going to be games where the starter unexpectedly leaves early by ejection, injury, rain delay, ineffectiveness. Carrying a LOOGY is luxury they can't afford, IMO. It's passed time we move on.

We could carry a LOOGY (Matusz) and use Garcia as a mop up man. We would just need everyone else to do their jobs. Right now Hunter and Gausman are not.

Wasn't Matusz already a LOOGY in 2013 when we had TJM?

Archived