Is this Cashman's last season in NY?

Birds of B'more

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2011/01/22/2011-01-22_yankees_gm_brian_cashman_might_want_to_leave_bombers_and_finally_have_a_chance_t.html

I'll preface this by saying it's the opinion of a Daily News columnist, and I don't know how many of the things he states about Cashman's feelings can be backed up, other than not wanting Soriano, which Cashman himself publicly stated. But still, it doesn't seem hard to believe he might want to move on and get out from under the shadow of the Steinbrenner's.

If you listen to some of things Cashman has said over the years and look at the pattern with which he has chosen to operate in the last few years - the CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Mark Teixeira winter notwithstanding - a picture emerges of a GM who clearly wishes he was running a small-market team like his pal Billy Beane in Oakland. Indeed, you get the feeling that Cashman is tired of being labled a "checkbook GM", while viewing that $200 million Yankee payroll as an albatross rather than a built-in insurance policy for making the postseason every year.
Ever since that $423 million splurge in 2008, Cashman has taken great pains to state his annual goal of trimming the payroll and it's no wonder that he still seethes privately about that Hank Steinbrenner-approved $275 million Alex Rodriguez contract that will curtail that effort through 2017. Cashman longs to build a team in his own image - a team fashioned around a homegrown nucleus like that of 1996-2001, one of his predecessors and mentor, Gene Michael; a team especially anchored by homegrown starting pitching.

BTW, his contract expires at the end of this season.

I think the smart money is on him not returning.

He'll get another job though, but I've always felt that the toughest GMs to evaluate are Beane and him.

I agree on both counts (re: Cashman). I think it will be interesting to see how he'd do elsewhere. The circumstances under which he's operated in NY are so unique that it truly is hard to say how he'd do in a "normal" situation.

Why do you find Beane hard to evaluate? There are several other teams in similar situations as Oakland, and I have no reason to think he would be any more or less successful if he were in KC, Pitt or TB.

I agree on both counts (re: Cashman). I think it will be interesting to see how he'd do elsewhere. The circumstances under which he's operated in NY are so unique that it truly is hard to say how he'd do in a "normal" situation.

Why do you find Beane hard to evaluate? There are several other teams in similar situations as Oakland' date=' and I have no reason to think he would be any more or less successful if he were in KC, Pitt or TB.[/quote']

I think a case for Beane being hard to evaluate is that if I recall correctly, he had little to nothing to do with bringing in most of the key stars that led the A's on their great run. He made plenty of good moves of course, but your job is a lot easier when you already have some great young players including starting pitchers.

Anyway, I hope Cashman leaves for himself, meaning to challenge himself and be able to do things his way. It will be interesting to see how good he really is if he goes that route.

Yes, I think it is. His comments following the Soriano signing made my jaw drop. You don't say those kinds of things about your boss unless you're massively unhappy and you don't care who knows it any more. He won the turf war with George and now he finds himself fighting it all over against Hank and Hal and I think he's had it.

Why do you find Beane hard to evaluate? There are several other teams in similar situations as Oakland' date=' and I have no reason to think he would be any more or less successful if he were in KC, Pitt or TB.[/quote']

Mweb mentioned the point that he took over a good team. While true, that's not the big thing to me. Since they did have success when he took over, he seems like he has such a longer leash than other GMs. He can constantly turn over players for prospects because his time horizon to win is a lot longer than other GMs get, imo. I don't want to derail a good thread about Cashman, but I tend to lump them together as to opposite ends of the spectrum.

I would agree with the assertion that this is the end of Cashman's reign in NY. I wonder who has openings following 2011 besides the Orioles and possibly Seattle or Anaheim.

Cot's doesn't have all that much information, but it looks like these guys' contracts are expiring at the end of 2011:

Brian Sabean (Giants)

Theo Epstein (Red Sox)

Ruben Amaro (Phillies)

Neal Huntington (Pirates)

Jon Daniels (Rangers)

Walt Jocketty (Reds)

Dave Dombrowski (Tigers)

Of this list, Huntington is the only one I can see being in serious danger. If Cashman really wants to try his hand with a small payroll, that job sure fits the bill.

Cot's doesn't have all that much information, but it looks like these guys' contracts are expiring at the end of 2011:

Brian Sabean (Giants)

Theo Epstein (Red Sox)

Ruben Amaro (Phillies)

Neal Huntington (Pirates)

Jon Daniels (Rangers)

Walt Jocketty (Reds)

Dave Dombrowski (Tigers)

Of this list, Huntington is the only one I can see being in serious danger. If Cashman really wants to try his hand with a small payroll, that job sure fits the bill.

Well hell, Cashman has traded half of the Yankees farm to the Pirates over the last five seasons. He would be getting back a lot of his original players. :D

But the Nats just hired a GM recently, did they not?
Contracts can be bought out. Rizzo is the VP as well as GM. The Nats could give Cashman a higher title. It may not be likely but it is possible. Still Cashman has a fondness for the area, and Andy's contract ends this year....

Contracts can be bought out. Rizzo is the VP as well as GM. The Nats could give Cashman a higher title. It may not be likely but it is possible. Still Cashman has a fondness for the area, and Andy's contract ends this year....

Rizzo's contract runs through 2015. I guess anything is possible, but that's a lot of years to pay someone not to work for you, or pay them at a GM level for what will essentially be an assistant GM. Not to mention it would be a lousy thing to do to Rizzo.

Archived