O's in the lead for Duchscherer

Guest Hayden2004

Guest Hayden2004

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

Source: #Orioles lead for Duchscherer. Has at least 1 major-league offer. O's made offer, believed to be major lge. #MLB

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good.

AM said that it has been hard to find a pitcher because they aren't willing to guarantee a rotation spot, which is exactly how they should be playing it.

Duscherer would be perfect for that role(swingman, potential starter).

Agreed. He would be my top choice about anyone that is left.

Good.

AM said that it has been hard to find a pitcher because they aren't willing to guarantee a rotation spot, which is exactly how they should be playing it.

Duscherer would be perfect for that role(swingman, potential starter).

He also said that he wants to start and that starting was very important to him in selecting where he would play. I fear if the Orioles are in the lead for his services that we would basically be guaranteeing him a rotation spot. I don't think I would like that.

He also said that he wants to start and that starting was very important to him in selecting where he would play. I fear if the Orioles are in the lead for his services that we would basically be guaranteeing him a rotation spot. I don't think I would like that.

I just find it hard to believe that they would guarantee him anything, considering how little he has pitched in the last few years.

Now, i do think they are telling him that he will have a shot at making the rotation, which may be more than anyone else is telling him.

I just find it hard to believe that they would guarantee him anything, considering how little he has pitched in the last few years.

Now, i do think they are telling him that he will have a shot at making the rotation, which may be more than anyone else is telling him.

Hopefully that is the case, he just made it very clear in the interview that he did not want to be a reliever.

I can't imagine anyone is going to promise him a starting role. The chance to compete for one is about the best he'll get. Given how little he's pitched the past couple seasons, I would think getting a ML contract going to ST would be the highest priority for him right now.

If he is signed, I would expect him to start the year in the rotation. Birtton and Tillman for depth at AAA. Vandenhurk is the swingman. Duchscherer was solely a reliever up until 2008. However, he started in all 22 of his appearances in 2008 and was excellent. He missed all of 2009 and then started 5 games last year before going down again, and he was real good in those 5 starts. If you believe he's good enough to pitch in the majors, then it's probably a no contest between him and Tillman for the 5th spot.

I agree that Duchscherer can still be an effective starter, but unless one of the younger pitchers really struggle in spring training, I'd much rather give those same innings to Tillman.

The guy is a talent. I don't know why you would even have to promise him a spot in the rotation. If I was Andy, I would say, "Look, when healthy, you're obviously one of the top 150 SPs in the game. Sign with us, do what you do, and the rest will take care of itself".

Archived