Situational Hitting

33rdst

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try to hit a fly ball and you're just as likely to hit a popup or miss the pitch completely. It amuses me how people think it's so easy to hit a sacrifice fly ball. I watch the Yanks & Mets and as good as they are, they fail all the time with runners on 3rd and less than 2 outs. Every team does. I'm not sure what our statistics are but it's not a matter of situational hitting. It's a matter of not having enough good hitters. I'm sure Markakis is trying to drive the ball or hit it hard somewhere. If he actually tried to hit a fly ball he'd be getting out of what he does best as a hitter and lessening his chances of driving in the run, IMO.

Great point. But some guys like Tejada wont put the ball in play to move the runner or score a run on a ground out when they have the ability to do so.

No, every situation is different. You don't have to come across this way in your posts.
Yes he does.

I get what he is saying but guys like Raffy were masters at hitting flyballs when they needed to.

It is all about getting the right pitch to hit. Yesterday, Nick swung at the first pitch, which was a cutting sinker in on his hands...Obviously that is not going to go in the air.

Early in the season, people got on him for not driving the ball...Again, the lack of sac flys shows that. People were also upset about him not comign through with RISP enough...This is another example.

Wait for the best pitch to hit and you will get a flyball. Swing at the wrong pitch and you won't.

No, he doesn't have to come across in an attacking manner like he did.

No, every situation is different. You don't have to come across this way in your posts.

I was a smaller guy, when I was up, I could focus on hitting the ball hard and hitting the first pitch I could handle (if Runner on third and less than 2 outs). Thus this normally would result in a fly out. I never said it was easy to get base hits. Yet it is faily easy to produce a run with a runner on third and less than 2 outs.

It is if you are willing to give yourself up.

Yes he does.

I get what he is saying but guys like Raffy were masters at hitting flyballs when they needed to.

It is all about getting the right pitch to hit. Yesterday, Nick swung at the first pitch, which was a cutting sinker in on his hands...Obviously that is not going to go in the air.

Early in the season, people got on him for not driving the ball...Again, the lack of sac flys shows that. People were also upset about him not comign through with RISP enough...This is another example.

Wait for the best pitch to hit and you will get a flyball. Swing at the wrong pitch and you won't.

Palmeiro was an extreme flyball hitter, Markakis is an extreme groundball hitter.

With regard to the whole runners in scoring position, do you realize hwo small a sample size you are dealing with? The bottom line is the great majority of hitters, over the course of the career, hit in the clutch or with risp about as wel as they do in other situations.

You are what you are.

Palmeiro was an extreme flyball hitter, Markakis is an extreme groundball hitter.

With regard to the whole runners in scoring position, do you realize hwo small a sample size you are dealing with? The bottom line is the great majority of hitters, over the course of the career, hit in the clutch or with risp about as wel as they do in other situations.

You are what you are.

Yes i do but thanks for asking.

My point was that this is something people complained and pitch selection and things like that contributed to that.

Just as pitch selection contributes to not hitting flyballs.

Hitting a first inside sinker is not the recipe for a flyball.

Tuscaloosa...I just meant that is what RZ does.

Every situation is different. Most of the times, the players are not looking to get the runner in from third off of a sac fly. They are trying to either get a hit or just hit a ground ball up the middle to get him home.

See how easy it is when they are up in the bottom of the 9th when the winning run is on third with less than 2 outs.

How old are you again?

Great point. But some guys like Tejada wont put the ball in play to move the runner or score a run on a ground out when they have the ability to do so.

Probably becuase he's one of the best hitters in baseball and its silly for him to look to hit a weak ground ball the other way, especially in less than 2 strike counts. You're also overstating Tejada's apparent inability to hit ground balls the other way.

My point was that this is something people complained and pitch selection and things like that contributed to that.

Just as pitch selection contributes to not hitting flyballs.

Hitting a first inside sinker is not the recipe for a flyball.

I just think you're vastly oversimplifying things.

Halladay is a great pitcher who is hard to hit. He has a great deal of success relying on his sinker and getting lots of groundballs ( He is 4th in the league in groundball percentage). Do you think he was aware that a flyball = a sac.fly and run, and thus was going to pound down in the strike zone?

Probably becuase he's one of the best hitters in baseball and its silly for him to look to hit a weak ground ball the other way, especially in less than 2 strike counts. You're also overstating Tejada's apparent inability to hit ground balls the other way.

Exactly. Just like it would be stupid for Pujols or Bonds or Hafner, etc to limit themselves to a sac fly unless it is late in the game and have a reason to be playing for only one run.

I just think you're vastly oversimplifying things.

Halladay is a great pitcher who is hard to hit. He has a great deal of success relying on his sinker and getting lots of groundballs. Do you think he was aware that a flyball = a sac.fly and run, and thus was going to pound down in the strike zone?

Of course he is aware of it...But does that mean you should jump on the first pitch, a pitch that you have no chance of hitting in the air? Of course not.

Nick swung at a bad pitch for that situation. There is no denying that.

And besides, yesterday was just one example.

It is just something Nick needs to work on. It is all about pitch selection. Obviously you won't do it every time but i can guarantee you that you won't do it when you swing at sinkers that are in on your hands.

How stupid is it? Even the best hitters only get a hit 1/3 of the time. If sac flies are so easy, then you should go for the sac fly with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs. That's a guarateed RBI according to you guys. Hafner should have 20 sac flies just by accident. :rolleyes:

How many times has Hafner been in that situtation when he hasn't driven in the run? How many times is he even pitched to in that situation?

We have seen Markakis...We know this is something he needs to work on.

How stupid is it? Even the best hitters only get a hit 1/3 of the time. If sac flies are so easy, then you should go for the sac fly with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs. That's a guarateed RBI according to you guys. Hafner should have 20 sac flies just by accident. :rolleyes:

Guaranteed RBI? According to who? All AO said was that it wasn't tough to hit a fly ball and I never commented on that at all b/c I have no idea.

My point is that they shouldn't be attempting to hit sac flies unless there is a good reason to. No point in playing for just one run when you have one of the best hitters in baseball up there. If it happens, so be it, but I want them trying to get a hit or on base any way they can.

Archived