We're waiting on ARod

bigbird

So far, this is a good offseason for Yankee bashing. The only problem is, they are getting younger, and still have tons of talent.
If Mo and Jorge leave, who do they have at C? So who closes, if no Mo?. What's the rest of their bullpen like? Jaba the Hut has been ordained a SP by Prince Steinbrenner. Betencourt at 3B? Who's on first? How old is Jeter again? Matsui? Damon? Giambi? Mussina? Petitte declined his option, most likely retires. SP Wang, Hughes, Kennedy? Jaba? Igawa? Pavano?

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep. I just wish we had some feeling from him that he understands the history here and is into it. That is the kind of thing that would make him a leader in the clubhouse and someone to build around. If he said, hey folks, let's return the O's to the glory years of the Birds, it would be a nice starting point. Maybe AM will get authorization for a 10 year, Bird for life deal that has a ton of insurance coverage.

Bedard has only had 1 healthy season. You have to take that into consideration as he gets older, his health is likely to get even worse. A 4 year extension is all they should give him...

Without Bedard, we are beyond horrible.

Yes, if we just lost Bedard and got nothing back--with a serious injury, for example--then we would be taking a huge loss. Even more so if we were on the hook for $60MM or more.

But if we gave him up and got good value in return, with players who can play every day and who will increase in value in a Birds' uniform, that's a different story.

With him' date=' you at least have the chance of pretending that you can compete.[/quote']

I don't really want to have a chance of pretending.

We've been pretending for 10 years. The pretense hasn't usually lasted past Memorial Day, but playing a kind of Three Card Monte with the fans has been an annual exercise for this franchise. You know Three Card Monte: that's the streetcorner game where the crook pretends that you have a chance of winning.

I don't want to pretend any more. I want to actually compete. And if trading Bedard helps make that more probable, I'm all for it.

(When) the Mets sign A-Rod they will trade Reyes for Santana. No moving of David Wright.

I think the Mets are smart enough to realize that A-Rod, who turns 33 next July, isn't going to resemble the defender he was a shortstop in 2003 - the last year he actually played the position.

Reyes isn't going anywhere, except around and around the bases at high speed in a Mets uni.

If they do make a push for Santana, they'll dangle the prospects everybody wants to see in Baltimore, or just wait for him to hit FA.

I think the Mets are smart enough to realize that A-Rod, who turns 33 next July, isn't going to resemble the defender he was a shortstop in 2003 - the last year he actually played the position.

Reyes isn't going anywhere, except around and around the bases at high speed in a Mets uni.

If they do make a push for Santana, they'll dangle the prospects everybody wants to see in Baltimore, or just wait for him to hit FA.

Reyes isn't half of the player that A-Rod is. If the Mets want to win now(which they are doing). THey will be smart and keep all of the solid OF specs and trade Reyes for Santana who would fill in for their greatest weakness.

Reyes isn't half of the player that A-Rod is. If the Mets want to win now(which they are doing). THey will be smart and keep all of the solid OF specs and trade Reyes for Santana who would fill in for their greatest weakness.

If the Mets want to win now -which they do- they'll keep Reyes & Wright and add pitching using players that aren't expected to play major roles at the big league level in 2008.

Even if you think A-Rod can play SS in 2008, which I don't, he won't play it as well as Reyes, and he's not going to get any better through throughout the life of the contract at ages 34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45 (if you believe Boras)

If the Mets want to win now -which they do- they'll keep Reyes & Wright and add pitching using players that aren't expected to play major roles at the big league level in 2008.

Even if you think A-Rod can play SS in 2008, which I don't, he won't play it as well as Reyes, and he's not going to get any better through throughout the life of the contract at ages 34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45 (if you believe Boras)

I would still take A-Rod defense vs Reyes at SS. I don't think A-Rod is going to improve through out his contract like Reyes will, but I do think A-Rod will still be a better player.

Would you feel better if Caberea was traded an Bedard wasnt? And we offer Bedard a sweet deal. Its not like the O's dont have money.

I'd feel very good about that if Bedard was extended. However if he isn't traded I think it is extremely important that Cabrera is traded.

What kind of package do you think we could get for Cabrera?

Teams that need an upgrade at 3B or SS

Cubs

Phillies

Red Sox

Yankees

Giants

Dodgers

Angels

Twins

Blue Jays

D'Backs

I would have to think that the Cardinals would at least be interested. Eckstein is gone and they have no real replacement for him at SS.

Archived