Bundy, Bradley or Taillon?

Jim Callis of Baseball America was asked earlier this week to compare Dylan Bundy and Archie Bradley with Jameson Taillon. The response was very interesting:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/ask-ba/2011/2611788.html

I have to admit that the response to Bundy from the scouting director caught my interest in a big way. I don't pretend to know which pitcher has the highest upside of the three but I'd like to get the opinions of those of you who have more knowledge about them.

Jim Callis of Baseball America was asked earlier this week to compare Dylan Bundy and Archie Bradley with Jameson Taillon. The response was very interesting:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/ask-ba/2011/2611788.html

I have to admit that the response to Bundy from the scouting director caught my interest in a big way. I don't pretend to know which pitcher has the highest upside of the three but I'd like to get the opinions of those of you who have more knowledge about them.

Whatever level of expertise/knowledge I may have had has waned, as I stopped closely following the draft. Therefore my views are not 'what they were' in the past. Regardless, I did a great deal of research on Taillon, and have have kept an eye on Bundy and Bradley this year.

Taillon was the best HS pitching prospect that I personally had ever covered, and certainly among the best ever. So, to hear Callis-who I have great respect for-talk about Bundy in this way, is very encouraging. Bradley has a chance to challenge Bundy's claim to the best prep pitcher from this class-- in time. But were it me, I would follow suit with the majority of scouts and jump on Bundy if he's there at #4.

Comparing Bundy to Taillon is hard for me, but it appears that at least one well-regarded expert believes Bundy may be better. Time will tell, but again, this bodes well for we O's fans.

Whatever level of expertise/knowledge I may have had has waned, as I stopped closely following the draft. Therefore my views are not 'what they were' in the past. Regardless, I did a great deal of research on Taillon, and have have kept an eye on Bundy and Bradley this year.

Taillon was the best HS pitching prospect that I personally had ever covered, and certainly among the best ever. So, to hear Callis-who I have great respect for-talk about Bundy in this way, is very encouraging. Bradley has a chance to challenge Bundy's claim to the best prep pitcher from this class-- in time. But were it me, I would follow suit with the majority of scouts and jump on Bundy if he's there at #4.

Comparing Bundy to Taillon is hard for me, but it appears that at least one well-regarded expert believes Bundy may be better. Time will tell, but again, this bodes well for we O's fans.

Thanks. I have that same feeling about Bundy. The more I read on this site and elsewhere, the more I believe we have a very good shot at having him available. It's good to know that Bundy is considered to be in the same league as the top HS arms of the past several years.

For me personally I like Taillon a LITTLE more than Bundy, he was a bit more polished, although I almost feel like I'm splitting hairs. He's also got a bit of a better frame to grow into. Bradley is a fine HS pitcher, but is like one you'd find every year where the other two are rare HS talents.

Bundy is truly excellent. I don't like his past workload, and I'm skeptical (to say the least), when I see a six-foot high schooler, that the "now" stuff is necessarily going to stick around when he's throwing on five days rest and over a full pro season, but you can't argue with the draft profile he presents. His mechanics are clean, his stuff is very good, and his maturity is through the roof. I'd be happy to draft him if I were a scouting director.

But give me the kid that's 6-7/235 with a little more room to grow...

Bundy is truly excellent. I don't like his past workload, and I'm skeptical (to say the least), when I see a six-foot high schooler, that the "now" stuff is necessarily going to stick around when he's throwing on five days rest and over a full pro season, but you can't argue with the draft profile he presents. His mechanics are clean, his stuff is very good, and his maturity is through the roof. I'd be happy to draft him if I were a scouting director.

These are my thoughts almost exactly. I really like Bundy, a lot... but Taillon is a tick ahead overall for projection and durability. With that said, let's hope that if we did land Bundy, that he reaches his full potential: the ace of a contending team.

This are exactly my thoughts. I can understand some people saying that Bundy is a better prospect, because he does have better stuff. But the frame, and the projection that goes along with that frame, is hard to overlook when talking about a high school pitcher. It can affect so much as his career develops.

That said, I'll be very happy to see Bundy go 4th this year, just as I would've been happy to see Taillon go 3rd last year.

If the Orioles land one of Cole, Rendon, Hultzen, Bundy or Starling I will be excited. With that said, watch them skip over two of those guys and draft Bauer!

For me there is more risk when drafting a high school player, but likely more reward as well. Cole and Hultzrn could be as good as they are going to get right now. Bundy or Starling on the other hand could become legit All Stars, but you are likely to going to have to wait at least 3-4 years before you see them in the majors. I am not saying pass on them, but I do see the issues associated with drafting any player.

If the Orioles land one of Cole, Rendon, Hultzen, Bundy or Starling I will be excited. With that said, watch them skip over two of those guys and draft Bauer!

For me there is more risk when drafting a high school player, but likely more reward as well. Cole and Hultzrn could be as good as they are going to get right now. Bundy or Starling on the other hand could become legit All Stars, but you are likely to going to have to wait at least 3-4 years before you see them in the majors. I am not saying pass on them, but I do see the issues associated with drafting any player.

This might sound crazy, but the only player of the ones listed who they might pass on for Bauer is COle. Starling too, but IMO Starling isn't a legit option for them. They'll take any of Rendon, Hultzen, and Bundy if they are available at #4 . BTW, I believe they would take Cole if he were available at #4 too. I just think he's the one who the'd be most likely to pass on to draft Bauer or another player.

Archived