Could Taylor Guerrieri be a potential dark horse candidate?

But there was no mention of Guerrieri going to South Carolina in the fall. It could have been an oversight. Some think there was a reason. The only sure thing is it provided good fodder for the scouts in attendance.

No prospect has seen a bigger rise in draft stock than Guerrieri, a 6-foot-3, 195-pound righthander. The odds of him ending up on campus are looking slimmer every day.

"It's the best high school arm I've ever seen," an American League scout said. "I walked into the ballpark and saw the first pitch he threw in the bullpen and I could have left. There is no chance I see this guy unless he's pitching against us in the big leagues.

"Everything was above-average to plus-plus the day I saw him. It's easy, effortless. I walked out of there with my jaw dropped. This guy is unbelievable."

At his best, Guerrieri ranges from 93-96 mph with his fastball and can touch 97. He mixes in an 81-83 curveball with sharp break. His fastball has plenty of life to it, sinking and running when he throws to his arm side and showing heavy sink when he goes to his glove side. Guerrieri has a unique grip for his curveball, also a plus pitch.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/draft-preview/2011/2611803.html

If that happened I think there would be about 50,000 people showing up for another one of those free the birds rallies even if you don't like the guy sponsoring it. We are going to have two of Rendon, Bundy or Cole to choose from at #4 and we will be destroyed in the media if we passed on one of these players for TG. I think you may have the wrong Taylor in mind. I said last week I think Taylor Jungmann from Texas could be our #4 pick if Cole, Rendon and Bundy are gone. I don't think we would take Hultzen. I still think Hultzen, Cole and Bauer will go 1-2-3 leaving us Rendon. The following is a brief on Jungmann's last game.

6:56 PM on Thu., May. 26, 2011 | Permalink

Texas pitcher Taylor Jungmann, who was awarded Big 12 Pitcher of the Year this week, pitched a complete-game, one-hitter as the No. 2 Longhorns went on to beat Baylor in an elimination game, 6-1. With the win, Jungmann is now 13-0 this season.

Baylor had its lone run and hit of the game in the first inning to take the early lead, but Jungmann would not allow a hit through the next eight innings.

This was Jungmann's fifth complete-game of the season. In addition to the one hit, he yielded four walks while striking out seven. He continued the nation's longest active win streak with his 15th consecutive victory. His last loss came at the 2010 Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship (Texas lost 4-2 to Texas Tech).

Nice writeup, seems like an intelligent kid. I like his workout regimen, it makes a lot of sense.

Best HS arm the scout has ever seen? Lofty praise, though there seems to be a HS guy in every draft that some scout will say that about.

No way Jordan takes this kid over Bundy or Bradley

If there were a darkhorse HS SP candidate at this point, it would be A. Bradley. I'm told BAL has made some contact with him to get a feel. He's the second HS pitcher on their board, and a backup in case Bundy is off the board or unyielding with his demands.

I still believe BAL would select Hultzen or Bauer first, though.

If there were a darkhorse HS SP candidate at this point, it would be A. Bradley. I'm told BAL has made some contact with him to get a feel. He's the second HS pitcher on their board, and a backup in case Bundy is off the board or unyielding with his demands.

I think the Bradley thing is just posturing for negotiations sake with who they are really after. I can't begin to fathom that they believe A. Bradley is the 4th best talent in the draft.

I think the Bradley thing is just posturing for negotiations sake with who they are really after. I can't begin to fathom that they believe A. Bradley is the 4th best talent in the draft.

They don't, and the odds they select him are beyond slight. But he is the second HS pitcher on their board, and they have done due diligence.

Posturing doesn't do much at this point.

I've heard this too. How do you guys compare Bradley to the rest of the lot? Would this be a situation where we could get a comparable talent for slot price and then spend big for the rest of what is supposed to be a very deep draft? Maybe similar to the '09 draft, but hopefully with much better results.

Archived