vs. BLUE JAYS 6/4

OFFNY

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do we have an option on Koji next year?
I think it's a vesting option but I'm not sure.

From Cots:

1 year/$3M (2011), plus 2012 option

1 year/$3M (2011), plus 2012 vesting option

signed by Baltimore as a free agent 12/9/10

2012 option may become guaranteed based on 2011 performance

performance bonuses

So yes there is a vesting option.

You know, I wouldn't even necessarily have a problem with Gregg pitching the 9th inning tonight IF Jimmy Johnson pitched both the 7th and 8th innings after throwing only 6 pitches in the 7th. I mean, do something different once in a while. Must he make the same "Rain Man" moves every time without fail ??? Jeez, he played Nick Markakis at first base for the first time since he was in high school, but he won't dare deviate from the "J.J, Koji, Gregg" routine.

Yeah, this frustrates me the most. The fact that he fails to deviate from the routine is perhaps the most dangerous part about it: it makes the reliever lineup very predictable for opposing teams. They can take it as a foregone conclusion that, if it's a day when Accardo is having a rest, it's going to be JJ, Koji and Gregg. So they can adjust their lineup accordingly and try to coach their hitters on these guys.

I mean, if you've got Mariano Rivera and you always bring him up in the 9th, that's one thing -- the guy is so good that you can't really coach your players on how to hit him reliably. But when it's two above-average short-term relievers (JJ and Koji) and one average closer (Gregg), you can plan things out in your head ahead-of-time.

Archived