• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not only this, but I don't trust the developmental history of the Orioles organization when it comes to high school products. Billy Rowell comes to mind.

The past few years have shown the Orioles are actually good at developing pitching.

If you're really comparing Rowell to Bundy then I'm pretty sure you're just a troll.

Chris Smith part 2 while leaving the polished college bats on the board.

What are you doing Joe Jordan?! The organization has enough young pitching!

:angryfire:

Say what?!! The old baseball adage that you can NEVER have enough pitching is true. And we got a very live arm in Bundy.

I personally haven't given up on Hobgood, and I kinda like that we've got both Bundy's (Bundies?) in the system.

Hobgood may have a bad shoulder right now, but you can't give up on guys with good arms that fast!! If Hobgood is 26 with a 6.14 ERA and still at Fredrick, then maybe... yeah. But not right now, you silly people!

Nobody can say definitively. What can be said is that the Orioles have had problems having any success with HS pitchers in the first round (Hobgood, Loewen, Stahl). In fact, no HS 1st round O's pick has had any kind of impact (for the Orioles) since Bobby Grich in 1967!

In fact, tossing out Machado and Hobgood, the Orioles have picked 29 high school players in the first round since the draft was instated in 1965. 16 never saw the majors (3 others got no more than a cup of tea). Of those 29, only one has turned into an All-Star caliber player, and Jayson Werth did that with the Phillies, not us.

On the other hand, Matusz, Wieters, Markakis, Roberts, Fontenot, Hammonds, Mussina, and McDonald were all college picks and all meaningful contributors at the ML level. And that's only from 1990.

That's why I would have preferred Rendon, even with some injury concerns. We just don't develop high schoolers. And most other teams don't either.

Nobody can say definitively. What can be said is that the Orioles have had problems having any success with HS pitchers in the first round (Hobgood, Loewen, Stahl). In fact, no HS 1st round O's pick has had any kind of impact (for the Orioles) since Bobby Grich in 1967!

In fact, tossing out Machado and Hobgood, the Orioles have picked 29 high school players in the first round since the draft was instated in 1965. 16 never saw the majors (3 others got no more than a cup of tea). Of those 29, only one has turned into an All-Star caliber player, and Jayson Werth did that with the Phillies, not us.

On the other hand, Matusz, Wieters, Markakis, Roberts, Fontenot, Hammonds, Mussina, and McDonald were all college picks and all meaningful contributors at the ML level. And that's only from 1990.

That's why I would have preferred Rendon, even with some injury concerns. We just don't develop high schoolers. And most other teams don't either.

Mr. Zach Britton is on the line and wonders if you are really comfortable making such a blanket statement.

Mr. Zach Britton was not a first round pick, so yes, I am.[/quote

Your last statement that I bolded said 'We just don't develop high schoolers." Anyway, you think we can develop high school arms drafted in the fifth round but not ones drafted in the first? Aside from Mr. Hobgood (one pick and the final chapter isn't even written yet) how far back are you reaching for a high school arm drafted in the first round?

For the record, I probably would have taken Rendon had I felt ok about the medical reports but I have a hard time getting angry given the high regard so many hold Bundy.

Chris Smith part 2 while leaving the polished college bats on the board.

Chris Smith had three years of college. His path to the top of the draft board as a pitcher was a weird one. Even if Bundy doesn't make it, a Smith/Bundy comparison is a strange one to say the least.

This pick should make Guthrie all the more expendable at the deadline this year, IMO. Our new magic year is 2013 at the earliest, IMO.

OK if someone is willing to pay a steep price for a 200IP per year pitcher... thats fine. However who takes his spot in the rotation if he departs? Chris Tillman? Brad Bergesen?

I cannot say your wrong to think that way, but that is a high value player and who is going to deal what to get him?

OK if someone is willing to pay a steep price for a 200IP per year pitcher... thats fine. However who takes his spot in the rotation if he departs? Chris Tillman? Brad Bergesen?

I cannot say your wrong to think that way, but that is a high value player and who is going to deal what to get him?

Well, that's the key. If we can get a good, young SP prospect, and a good, young 1B or 2B prospect, you gotta pull the trigger. I'm not sure we can get two solid prospects at those respective positions, but we should be able to and if we can we have to pull the trigger, IMO.

Archived