The Official Conference Realignment Rumors Thread

PrivateO

Oh, and apparently Chip Brown is reporting that Texas has approached the ACC. Maybe this would allow the ACC to renegotiate their deal with ESPN?

Another thing that I wouldn't really be surprised at (though it doesn't really make sense), is for the Big East to offer the Longhorns a "Notre Dame package" so that their Olympic sports can play there while the football team goes indy.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He makes a good case, but I disagree with a couple of his points. The first being that more teams does not = more money. In the SEC that may be true, assuming they don't get to reopen their TV contracts just because they add a couple new members. But for conferences like the Big Ten and Pac-12, that have their own cable networks, it does mean more money. Those networks do not make the majority of their money off advertising, but rather subscriber fees to in-market cable/satellite customers. So if the Pac-12 adds the states of Texas and Oklahoma to their footprint (about 30 million people), then their network will make significantly more money....at least enough to give the new members a big enough piece of the pie and maybe more.

And I don't buy his AL East comparison for the Big XII. Missouri and Kansas are not going to be happy playing the Tampa Bay, Toronto, or (gulp!) Orioles to Texas' and Oklahoma's NYY and Boston. If the other Big XII schools have the chance to bolt to and SEC, Big Ten, or even Big East, they'll go so fast that Dan Beebe's head will spin.

Oh, and apparently Chip Brown is reporting that Texas has approached the ACC. Maybe this would allow the ACC to renegotiate their deal with ESPN?

More likely, Texas is testing the waters to see what other BCS conference might let them keep the Longhorn Network. And since ESPN is the partner on LHN, it makes sense to look at the ACC. That said, John Swofford better not give in on that one....the ACC schools are not going to like Texas' antics any more than the Big XII schools.

Great update today by Jon Wilner. Mostly covers the Pac-12 (16) perspective.

To sum up:

-If Pac-12 schools had their preference, the Big XII would hang on and they would not expand. They are very happy at 12, and even happier with their new TV deals with FOX/ESPN and their new network due to go live next year.

-Oklahoma and Oklahoma State seem very much to want to join the Pac. Apparently the once-solid relationship between Oklahoma and Texas has deteriorated.

-SEC is not pleased that their TV deal is now less than Pac-12's, despite winning the last 5 BCS titles. Their expansion desires seem to be geared towards triggering a re-opening of their current TV contracts.

-Right now, it all comes down to whether the SEC accepts Texas A&M. If they do, it is widely believed that Missouri would be next to the SEC. Then they would probably look to the ACC or Big East to get two more schools.

-Only if the above happens will the Pac-12 move to bring in OK, OSU, and possibly Texas and Texas Tech. Texas would have to concede to being an equal partner to get into the Pac, but they might well be willing to swallow their pride and do it, as going independent is risky (think, non-revenue sports) and the thought is that even if they give up the Longhorn Network, long term they may still make more money in a Pac-16.

-If Big XII implodes, Kansas and Kansas State would go to the Big East. Baylor and Iowa State would likely be left out and would have to downgrade to either Mountain West or Conference USA.

-Big Ten appears content to make no moves until their TV contracts are up for renegotiation in 2016. (If the SEC and Pac-12 go to 16 teams each, they will respond much sooner than that....my own speculation, not Wilner's)

Can you say "desperate"?

Nothing is more beloved in Texas than Texas football. Entire towns travel to neighboring communities on Friday nights as rivals meet under the Friday night lights; Saturday mornings find families rushing out to pee wee football games and spending their afternoons with friends tailgating or watching some of the most historic and storied football rivalries in the nation; Sunday afternoons see families gathered in living rooms across the state to cheer on the Cowboys or the Texans.

Football in Texas is more than a passing interest, it is a part of the fabric of this great state.

* Will Texans stand by and watch hundred-year-old rivalries be cast aside as the state's largest universities align themselves with other states across the country?

* Will Texans sit and watch as Texas' flagship universities pledge their loyalties to other states?

* Will Texans stand by as our most promising student athletes are lured out of Texas by new rivals?

* Will Texans watch as our most precious resources—the great minds of the next generation—are exported to new conference institutions?

Texans must stand up and call the leadership of the University of Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech to clear-headed thinking about the state's future. Texas' flagship institutions of higher learning are the guardians of the state's future—their loyalties must first be to Texas and to her citizens. Ask these leaders to take a stand for Texas and to stop this madness that will lead to the dissolution of the Big 12 and the end of an era for Texas.

http://www.baylor.edu/nation/index.php?id=84714

I understand their desperation, but it's also hypocritical. Back in 1995 I was living in Texas, and I remember when the old Southwest Conference dissolved and some members were invited to join the Big 8 to form the Big XII, most of the schools wanted TCU instead of Baylor. But some powerful Baylor alumni, including then-governor Anne Richards, strong-armed the other schools to take Baylor. And I don't remember any "Don't Mess With Texas Football" campaigns to save old rivalries and protect the interests of TCU, SMU, Rice and Houston. They were simply told they were on their own.

What goes around comes around.

I don't have a link, but on the radio on the way into work Eli Gold mentioned that one of the Big XII schools may have withdrawn its consent and is considering legal action.

UPDATE: It's stupid Baylor - http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2011/9/7/2409948/tamu-to-sec-in-a-holding-pattern-this-morning-invite-contingent-on

Baylor's lawsuit threats are apparently all that's holding up the official announcement of the Texas A&M move to the SEC. The reason is likely because they don't have some kind of standing invitation to another power conference if the Big 12 goes away.

I don't have a link, but on the radio on the way into work Eli Gold mentioned that one of the Big XII schools may have withdrawn its consent and is considering legal action.

UPDATE: It's stupid Baylor - http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2011/9/7/2409948/tamu-to-sec-in-a-holding-pattern-this-morning-invite-contingent-on

Interesting... thanks for the link and info.

Archived