The Official Conference Realignment Rumors Thread

PrivateO

If its true that OU and OSU apply to the Pac 12 then what happens w/Texas? One would think that a reason why Oklahoma is reason is b/c they are tired of Texas' "ego" as well. It would be interesting to leave for the Pac12 only to see their big headed neighbor end up in the same conference with them keeping their network.

Tough to say right now. I don't think Texas themselves know. As I've said several times, I don't think independence is a realistic option for them like Notre Dame, because I don't think there is a Big East conference out there that will let Texas in for other sports. That leaves 2 options: Either replace the members that bolt the Big XII and continue trying to hold it together as the heavy-handed boss, or go to either the Pac-12 or Big Ten.

Both options have their pros and cons. Going to another conference means they swallow their ego in exchange for long-term stability and probably better long-term revenues. Making a Frankenconference out of the Big XII leftovers and some non-AQ schools means they still get to be the big boss and keep the Longhorn Network, but with Nebraska gone, Texas A&M leaving and maybe the OK schools too there's no guarantee the replacements would be good enough to keep an automatic BCS bid.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If its true that OU and OSU apply to the Pac 12 then what happens w/Texas? One would think that a reason why Oklahoma is reason is b/c they are tired of Texas' "ego" as well. It would be interesting to leave for the Pac12 only to see their big headed neighbor end up in the same conference with them keeping their network.

They won't keep their network, though. At least not as currently conceived. There's nothing in it for the Pac-12.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/blog?name=bilas_jay&id=6964846&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2fblog%3fname%3dbilas_jay%26id%3d6964846

Anyone have Insider? Apparently Bilas discusses how superconferences will help teams like Xavier, Gonzaga, Butler, etc. and I wanted to know what his thoughts were on that.

Texas to the ACC? I have a hard time seeing that happening... although anything appears to be possible at this juncture. I have a feeling -still- that Oklahoma and Ok St stay and the Big 12 expands to 12 teams, by adding BYU and two others. If the Oklahoma schools bolt, all hell will break loose.

Texas to the ACC? I have a hard time seeing that happening... although anything appears to be possible at this juncture. I have a feeling -still- that Oklahoma and Ok St stay and the Big 12 expands to 12 teams, by adding BYU and two others. If the Oklahoma schools bolt, all hell will break loose.

John Swofford should be tarred and feathered outside ACC HQ if he manages to convince the ACC presidents that taking Texas with its network and its ego is a good idea. Why would the ACC wish upon itself what's happening to the Big XII? Texas is a cancer.

John Swofford should be tarred and feathered outside ACC HQ if he manages to convince the ACC presidents that taking Texas with its network and its ego is a good idea. Why would the ACC wish upon itself what's happening to the Big XII? Texas is a cancer.

I agree that Swofford should not entertain offering the Longhorns and their network. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but Swofford should take a hard look at grabbing four BE schools.

I agree that Swofford should not entertain offering the Longhorns and their network. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but Swofford should take a hard look at grabbing four BE schools.

West Virginia, Syracuse, Rutgers, and either Pitt or UConn?

Hell, they could bring in four of the basketball schools (Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova and either Providence or Seton Hall) and create a creative dual-division basketball conference.

Atlantic Division (Football)      Eastern Division (Football)Miami                             VirginiaFlorida State                     West VirginiaGeorgia Tech                      MarylandClemson                           RutgersUNC                               BCNC State                          Virginia TechDuke                              SyracuseWake Forest                       UConn/PittAtlantic Division (Basketball)    Eastern Division (Basketball)Miami                             GeorgetownFlorida State                     West VirginiaGeorgia Tech                      VillanovaClemson                           RutgersUNC                               BCNC State                          Virginia TechDuke                              SyracuseWake Forest                       UConn/PittVirginia                          St. John'sMaryland                          Providence/Seton Hall

With all these "Texas to ACC" rumors, you gotta wonder how they've going to be voted in. UNC and Duke said no last expansion-go-round (Miami, BC, Va Tech), so they'd probably do the same this time as well. I believe the ACC needs 75% of the universities to approve a new one entering in (9 teams of 12).

BTerp, as a Xavier student, that is a worse-case scenario for us.

With all these "Texas to ACC" rumors, you gotta wonder how they've going to be voted in. UNC and Duke said no last expansion-go-round (Miami, BC, Va Tech), so they'd probably do the same this time as well. I believe the ACC needs 75% of the universities to approve a new one entering in (9 teams of 12).

I'm not certain, but I would guess that UNC and Duke voted no the first time in an attempt to maintain the integrity of the basketball schedule. That's all history now, so perhaps they'd be more willing to do vote yes this time.

West Virginia, Syracuse, Rutgers, and either Pitt or UConn?

Hell, they could bring in four of the basketball schools (Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova and either Providence or Seton Hall) and create a creative dual-division basketball conference.

Atlantic Division (Football)      Eastern Division (Football)Miami                             VirginiaFlorida State                     West VirginiaGeorgia Tech                      MarylandClemson                           RutgersUNC                               BCNC State                          Virginia TechDuke                              SyracuseWake Forest                       UConn/PittAtlantic Division (Basketball)    Eastern Division (Basketball)Miami                             GeorgetownFlorida State                     West VirginiaGeorgia Tech                      VillanovaClemson                           RutgersUNC                               BCNC State                          Virginia TechDuke                              SyracuseWake Forest                       UConn/PittVirginia                          St. John'sMaryland                          Providence/Seton Hall

I would be good with all that except I'd rather have both UConn and Pitt rather than one of them and WVU, who doesn't bring much of a media market and I believe their academic qualities are somewhat lacking.

Archived