The Official Conference Realignment Rumors Thread

PrivateO

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A&M to leave Big 12 Tuesday

If SEC calls, Virginia Tech would listen

^I don't believe that one for a second (in regards to UMD).

While not a Mod any longer, I'd still recommend merging the two threads you've created here... it's all relative.

With that said, I agree, MD isn't going to the SEC. The Big 10 may come calling however, so while unlikely, it could be awfully tempting to join them if offered.

Oddly enough, if VA Tech did leave for the SEC, it could cause a domino effect, wherein Swofford could seek to add as few as one, to as many as seven schools from the Big East. This is already interesting, but imagine the speculation once something like VA Tech to the SEC occurs. Wow. I personally could see it, though Missouri could fill the void (despite their obvious longing for the Big Ten.)

It's official. Texas A&M to leave Big 12

Greg, I probably didn't word it well in my OPs, but I really wanted to make this thread as a list of rumors/links about conference realignment (with discussion), while the other one would just be various scenarios/wish lists.

I'll lock the other one if you think that's best.

No worries either way, although I'd still prefer one thread. The A&M situation is long coming... seems inevitable that they join the SEC at this point.

No worries either way, although I'd still prefer one thread. The A&M situation is long coming... seems inevitable that join the SEC at this point.

Absolutely. They'll apply, and should be voted in pretty quickly. Now the question becomes, who's #14 for the SEC?

I think if the Longhorn Conference (a.k.a. Big XII) wants to continue to exist, they need to act before the SEC makes overtures towards Oklahoma. I think as long as the Sooners are willing to stick around and be the second-in-command to Texas, then the Big XII can survive in some form. If the Sooners leave for greener pastures, then I think the conference implodes. To prevent that the Big XII needs to act quickly to get back to at least 10 members, and perhaps 12 so they can have their championship game again and keep their TV partners satisfied revenue-wise. As for who the Big XII adds, we can toss out the rumors of Notre Dame and Arkansas. Neither of those schools will want to give up their current arrangements, especially for a conference with such instability and imbalance. BYU makes the most sense....and their plans to put games on BYU-TV after going independent will still fit in with the Big XII's business model. And their national profile makes them a solid addition.

After that, if the conference wants to live up to its name, then they should likewise move quick to get to 12. Names I've heard include Houston, SMU, Louisville, Boise State and Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is probably out, as the rumors surrounding them seemed to be contingent on Notre Dame joining, which won't happen. Louisville sounds intriguing, but I don't see enough serious interest on either side. SMU and Houston will replace a little bit of the in-state presence the conference loses when A&M leaves, and it's obvious either school would eagerly accept an offer. But neither one brings a national (or even in-state) profile or expands the broadcast footprint of the conference. Boise St is also very intriguing. Solid football program with national recognition, but little else in terms of athletic competition or market size. Honestly, outside of BYU I just don't see a slam-dunk choice if they want to expand to 12 members, so I'll be very curious to see how this plays out.

Absolutely. They'll apply, and should be voted in pretty quickly. Now the question becomes, who's #14 for the SEC?

Given the time-frame, I think the SEC will hold off on adding another school (or schools) for a year. Obviously a 13-team conference will be somewhat unwieldy for scheduling, but I think they would prefer to deal with that issue for one year rather than rush into a decision just to have someone in time for 2012 (if that would even be possible at this point). Which basically means this will be a hot topic again next summer, and might be when we really start to see some dominoes fall.

Given the time-frame' date=' I think the SEC will hold off on adding another school (or schools) for a year. Obviously a 13-team conference will be somewhat unwieldy for scheduling, but I think they would prefer to deal with that issue for one year rather than rush into a decision just to have someone in time for 2012 (if that would even be possible at this point). Which basically means this will be a hot topic again next summer, and might be when we really start to see some dominoes fall.[/quote']

Also don't forget that the Pac-12 could be looking at Oklahoma as well.

Also don't forget that the Pac-12 could be looking at Oklahoma as well.

No doubt. And the advantage the Pac-12 would have over the SEC for Oklahoma is that state politics could force Oklahoma to take Oklahoma State with them wherever they go. The Pac-12 would probably take both....I doubt the SEC would. And as I mentioned before in another thread, if the Big XII implodes, even Texas could still wind up in the Pac-12 (16). As much as they might like to be independent, I don't believe Texas could do it in all sports, and I can't think of a conference at their competitive level that would take them without football. So the Pac suddenly becomes an appealing option for Texas. Yes, the Longhorns would have to make some concessions with regard to power/influence and revenues that they keep for themselves. But with the Pac-12's newly announced regional networks for each of their school pairings, I'm thinking the Longhorn Network could fit into the Pac-12 business model with some tweaks (concessions) agreed to by Texas. But their revenues will still be very substantial and the long-term stability would also be appealing, I'm sure.

Regarding the Big 12... TCU makes a great deal of sense. They are currently at least as good in football, if not better than A&M. Not a bad replacement, despite the issues of TCU heading to the Big East.

Boise State, TCU and SMU seem like the most likely threesome IF the Big 12 survives. Personally I believe that the constant worries of implosion may force B12 schools to consider more stable alliances.

Regarding the Big 12... TCU makes a great deal of sense. They are currently at least as good in football, if not better than A&M. Not a bad replacement, despite the issues of TCU heading to the Big East.

Boise State, TCU and SMU seem like the most likely threesome IF the Big 12 survives. Personally I believe that the constant worries of implosion may force B12 schools to consider more stable alliances.

That helps them in football, but makes them a mid major (Plus Kansas) in basketball.

Here is BYU's statement on conference realignment.

"There is much speculation right now regarding conference affiliation that seems to change by the hour. Commenting on such conjecture is not productive and creates a distraction for our program. As we enter the 2011-12 athletic season, BYU is focused on the opportunities ahead. We are excited about our relationship with ESPN as a football independent and our affiliation with the West Coast Conference. The university will have no further comment."

Translation: Sit tight, and as soon as we have some official news to pass on about joining the Big XII, we'll let you know.

Here's your random conference realignment rumor of the day:

*** Several sources said that while the media attention is locked on the Big 12’s purported courtship of BYU, what’s really happening behind the scenes is this:

The Big 12 is considering a raid of the Big East for at least two teams and perhaps more.

The names I heard from multiple sources were Pittsburgh and Rutgers, but I have to believe others, including Louisville and West Virginia, are in play.

The notion that the Big 12 was only interested in Pitt as a package deal with Notre Dame, I was told, is rubbish.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2011/09/02/bcs-football-the-latest-on-realignment/

EDIT: One last update:

NORMAN — University of Oklahoma president David Boren said Friday he expects the Sooners' conference affiliation to be decided soon.

“I don't know how long before clarity comes to us,” Boren said. “It might be a matter of 72 hours. It might be a matter of two weeks. I don't think it will be longer.”

Archived