Do we have enough to get Joey Votto?

JTrea81

The Reds will listen to offers for Votto however they don't plan on shopping him, similar to how the Tigers listened for Cabrera and the Padres for Gonzalez 2 offseasons ago.

For a franchise in the shape the Orioles are, nobody should be untouchable and that includes Manny Machado who could reunite with his mentor and friend Yonder Alonso in Cinci.

With Machado as an obvious chip, would we have enough of other pieces to pry away Votto from Cinci?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would trade Machado straight up for Votto 10 times out of 10.

Bingo, Machado is still unproven at the ML level. We have no idea what he'll be.

We know Votto is one of the best players in MLB.

If we are in a win now mode, and we want to conserve resources for more pieces instead of signing Fielder, trading "the farm" for Joey Votto could be the way to go...

Bingo, Machado is still unproven at the ML level. We have no idea what he'll be.

If we are in a win now mode, and we want to conserve resources for more pieces instead of signing Fielder, trading "the farm" for Joey Votto could be the way to go...

Oh, well we aren't..So I guess that ends this thread.

I didn't say that. I said that I would trade Machado straight up - because I think Allstar is incorrect when he says Machado > Votto. I would not trade Machado as part of a package for Votto, unless it was not much more than Machado.

Oh, well we aren't..So I guess that ends this thread.

Agreed.

The Reds will listen to offers for Votto however they don't plan on shopping him, similar to how the Tigers listened for Cabrera and the Padres for Gonzalez 2 offseasons ago.

For a franchise in the shape the Orioles are, nobody should be untouchable and that includes Manny Machado, who could reunite with his mentor and friend Yonder Alonso in Cinci.

With Machado as an obvious chip, would we have enough of other pieces to pry away Votto from Cinci?

It could reunite him with his friend and mentor ??? Well in that case, we should just give them Machado. It's the only sportsmanlike thing to do.

If Votto is really being put on the market, I think there are a lot of other teams that could beat any package we could put up there. Our farm system doesn't have that much talent, unfortunately. We have Machado but I don't think he would be enough.

Votto doesn't seem keen on signing long term with the Reds. I guess my point is; why would he be more keen on signing long-term here?

"I don’t know as far as beyond three years. I think it’s a real unfair question to ask,” Votto said. “This is not me saying I don’t want to be here. But last year was a difficult year for me. This year was a better year for me. It’s really hard for me to think three years ahead, five years ahead, seven years ahead or 10 years ahead. When [Troy] Tulowitzki signed that 10-year contract [with the Rockies], I was blown away. I can’t imagine seeing myself 10 years from now saying I want to be here. It’s an overwhelming thing to ask a young person like myself and say ‘here’s a lot of money. Be happy with this over 10 years, deal with it.’”

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/04/joey-votto-in-no-rush-for-a-long-term-contract/

I would trade Machado straight up for Votto 10 times out of 10.

I wouldn't. There is risk, sure, but it's easier to find Votto like numbers at 1B or DH than it is to find it at SS or 3B. Machado and Bundy have the potential to be mega-stars, and it's not worth trading a good chance at one of those for a good solid player. Just my philosophy though.

I wouldn't. There is risk, sure, but it's easier to find Votto like numbers at 1B or DH than it is to find it at SS or 3B. Machado and Bundy have the potential to be mega-stars, and it's not worth trading a good chance at one of those for a good solid player. Just my philosophy though.

If Votto were merely a "good solid player" then I'd agree. Our difference isn't philosophy. It's valuation. How many players can you name who have been worth 7 WAR each of the last two years?

If Votto were merely a "good solid player" then I'd agree. Our difference isn't philosophy. It's valuation. How many players can you name who have been worth 7 WAR each of the last two years?

He's no Pujols. He's an all-star, but you can find players to put up good numbers at 1B much easier than you can find those numbers at SS. It's a positional bias that has yet to be accounted for with statistics.

Archived