Russ Canzler put on waivers (update: Indians acquire Canzler)

.500_OR_BETTER

The Indians got him...for cash...I don't understand how an organization VOID of hitting prospects doesn't take the IL MVP in...

Indians acquired 1B Russ Canzler from the Rays for cash considerations.

Canzler was designated for assignment by the Rays last week in order to clear a 40-man roster spot for infielder Jeff Keppinger. The 25-year-old posted a promising 314/.401/.530 batting line with 18 home runs last year at Triple-A Durham and could certainly factor into Cleveland's plans for 2012. He can play first base, third base and the corner outfield spots. Jan 31 - 10:05 AM

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Indians got him...for cash...I don't understand how an organization VOID of hitting prospects doesn't take the IL MVP in...

Indians acquired 1B Russ Canzler from the Rays for cash considerations.

Canzler was designated for assignment by the Rays last week in order to clear a 40-man roster spot for infielder Jeff Keppinger. The 25-year-old posted a promising 314/.401/.530 batting line with 18 home runs last year at Triple-A Durham and could certainly factor into Cleveland's plans for 2012. He can play first base, third base and the corner outfield spots. Jan 31 - 10:05 AM

Maybe the Rays didn't want to deal him to us.

Would he have had to stay on the 25 man / 40 man roster all season?

He would have had to stay on the 40 man, or be subject to waivers again. Unless he got hurt, then he could have been put on the 60 day. Just a lack of position for him and an over crowding in defensively challenged bats on our roster caused us to not go after him. A reason why one of the most money savvy organizations around had no room for him.

He would have had to stay on the 40 man, or be subject to waivers again. Unless he got hurt, then he could have been put on the 60 man. Just a lack of position for him and an over crowding in defensively challenged bats on our roster caused us to not go after him. A reason why one of the most money savvy organizations around had no room for him.

Thank you sir....

Yep....looks like the Orioles, and 28 other MLB teams, were slow to pull the trigger and grab Russ Canzler. :rolleyes:

Waiver claims are decided by league and worst record. Minnesota, Seattle, Baltimore, Kansas City, Oakland and Chicago would have had a shot at Canzler before Cleveland. Not the other 22 teams besides Tampa.

After some mediocre years in the minors, it appears that something clicked offensively for Canzler the last two years in AA and AAA. He can play the corner positions in both the IF and OF, and he's only 25 years old. He is exactly the kind of young player the Orioles should grab.
Yep....looks like the Orioles, and 28 other MLB teams, were slow to pull the trigger and grab Russ Canzler. :rolleyes:

Consistent...

So rather than going off what our offensively hollow organization (and frankly big league club) needs, we'll go off the fact that 5-6 other teams didn't want/need him cuz they have more talent on their rosters in the RH DH/bench area than we do?! That sounds like a good way to run a team.

Damn, wonder if we made a call for this kid...I am sure "cash considerations" is like $400,000 but we could really use some depth at the corner infield positions, I am so over Josh Bell..

:noidea:

As bad as Bell has been, at least he has fair defensive ability. I think we have to assume Canzler is just a fantastically bad fielder. His career minor league fielding percentage at third base is (actually, really, no kidding) .866. At first he's made errors at a rate of 17 per 150 games. Fielding percentage isn't the be-all end-all, obviously it just tells a part of the story. But he'd have to have Ozzie's range to make up for Pete Browning's hands.

I can't really fault the O's for the failure to acquire a pure DH who only reached AAA at 26.

Archived