Connolly: O's still looking to acquire bat

Os84

In Connolly's O's Insider post last night, he mentioned that the Orioles are still looking for a bat. It sounds like they will pick someone up from FA rather than through trade. Here is the exact quote:

The Orioles are still looking to add a bat, and it?s likely it could come in free agency. That said, the market is definitely drying up and any addition at this point could not be considered an impactful one. One recognizable name, first baseman Casey Kotchman, signed a one-year deal with the Cleveland Indians on Thursday. The Orioles had tepid interest in Kotchman but dismissed the possibility before learning he had signed elsewhere.

If true, I don't really see how any of the remaining FA bats would really fit the team at this point. It seems the O's would be looking at one of the older DH types and that could mean less playing time for younger guys like Reimold and Davis.

Here's a link to MLBTR's free agent list: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/03/2012-mlb-free-agents.html

Who are the Orioles' likely targets at this point? Can any add value that the young guys can't?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would really prefer to let Reimold and Davis get a full season's worth of ABs.

That being said, if I was forced to choose one of the remaining vets, I would give D. Lee another shot. He probably wouldn't consider it though.

I am scared the offense might take a step back like the pitching did last year. They put too much pressure on the young guys and it failed. This year, I think they might put too much pressure on the hitters by not having a leadoff hitter or cleanup hitter. I know they are older and have had more success in the majors but I can see the offense declining somewhat. Could be wrong and only time will tell.

Archived