The Cartoon Bird, Isn't It Great?

Flacco Machado

Anybody else diggin' the new/old caps and the orange uni's last night? I love it!

Went to Home Depot on Saturday in Bel Air(always an adventure), and saw a ton of Dad's and little kids wearing caps and shirts. I gotta believe that Orioles mechandise is going to do really well this year. Especially, if the team can continue to gain momentum. I tell ya, it was awesome to see that on Saturday, and for once, I didn't feel all alone. I just kept saying to myself, "that's what I'm talkin' about!" This town is waiting to explode for this team. One day...one day...

The Orioles really got this one right. They've definitely made a lot of bad decisions, but not this one.

Anybody else with similar experiences?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anybody else diggin' the new/old caps and the orange uni's last night? I love it!

Went to Home Depot on Saturday in Bel Air(always an adventure), and saw a ton of Dad's and little kids wearing caps and shirts. I gotta believe that Orioles mechandise is going to do really well this year. Especially, if the team can continue to gain momentum. I tell ya, it was awesome to see that on Saturday, and for once, I didn't feel all alone. I just kept saying to myself, "that's what I'm talkin' about!" This town is waiting to explode for this team. One day...one day.

The Orioles really got this one right. They've definitely made a lot of bad decisions, but not this one.

Anybody else with similar experiences?

Denying the cartoon bird it rightful place is what generated this losing curse! Shameful action! Pathetic!

Denying the cartoon bird it rightful place is what generated this losing curse! Shameful action! Pathetic!

Two words: Nineteen Eighty-eight. Actually, the whole 1980s after the World Series. And 1989 came after they changed the uniforms to (essentially) the ones up through last season.

Cartoon bird - he's feeding my fantasy. I want to believe that he represents a deeper, spiritually fit organization - new, vibrant, young, fun-loving, rooted in classic Oriole virtues like hard work, defensive prowess, great pitching and opportunistic offenses. Jebus - I done drunk the Orange Kool-Aid. And it tastes GOOD. When it hits your tongue - it tastes GOOD!

We all love the hat of our youth, because it's our first memory. I loved the white caps on Opening Day because it just looked right. The orange jerseys meant big game way back when, but I liked the regular schedule and liked the lettering, very bold look, stood out. Overall, a great move. In 20 years though the current 18 year olds will be longing for the return of the ornothologically correct caps....

I am not a big fan of the cartoon bird. Makes it harder to take the team seriously. The cartoon bird on a black hat is better, but the tri-colored hat is a bit too much. By the way, has anyone noticed that the cartoon bird on the batting helmets is not centered? Also, I don't know why so many people claim that the ornothologically-correct bird started a curse? I think it's the other way around. The new hats brought us 1989 and the playoff teams in the 90s.

I am not a big fan of the cartoon bird. Makes it harder to take the team seriously. The cartoon bird on a black hat is better, but the tri-colored hat is a bit too much. By the way, has anyone noticed that the cartoon bird on the batting helmets is not centered? Also, I don't know why so many people claim that the ornothologically-correct bird started a curse? I think it's the other way around. The new hats brought us 1989 and the playoff teams in the 90s.

I really believe that winning makes people take a team seriously more than anything. When we were winning the division almost every year from 1969-1974 with that cartoon bird on our heads, we were taken very seriously by everyone. When your team regularly wins between 89 and 109 games every season, you could wear hats with Sesame Street paintings on them, and you'll get taken seriously.

Archived